T-Top on a 17' Boston Whaler?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: T-Top on a 17' Boston Whaler?

Assuming that your Whaler is a Montauk (center console) model, I don't see any reason why not, except maybe. . . <br /><br />You would never get it in a standard garage on a trailer.<br /><br />I prefer the optional canvas sun top or a bimini to keep the sun and rain off, but you may have other reasons.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

texas_whaler

Seaman

It is a 17' Whaler not a montauk.Same hull I guess, but it has a slightly smaller center console!!
<br /><br />I just like the look of the t-top better and I have a guy that could possibly make me one for real cheap!! The T-top would be out of the way more so than a bimini while fishing as well..I was told by someone that I shouldn't put a t-top on any whaler smaller than an 18' boat that it would be too top heavy and may tip the boat!! I would have the guy build me one that would most likely be smaller and lighter weight than the usual ones!!

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most Boston Whaler owners seem to hang out at the below forum. Go there and ask your question; you'll get lots more suggestions there.<br /><br /> Whaler Forum

texas_whaler

Seaman

FYI,<br /><br />They say that any whaler smaller than 18' is really not stable enough to install a t-top..I big wind storm picks up and your in trouble..NOT STABLE!! Maybe if the hull was a deep V it would be better, so I guess its back to looking at bimini tops!! Thanks for the help!!<br /><br />Matt

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I don't agree with that myth.<br /><br />One of the greatest features of the Dougherty designed classic Whalers is stability. :)

D

DJ

I think the real issue is weight.<br /><br />A heavy duty fiberglass top T-top on a 17' might not be a good idea. That weight swinging around up there six feet off the deck could cause some intertesting results.<br /><br />However, if the T-top is kept to a small size with a canvas insert, I think it would be OK.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too think, if kept light, that it would be Okay but you'll never know for sure unless you try... :D

mattttt25

Commander

i have a big, heavy custom hard top (full fiberglass) with electronics box on my 20' center console. never noticed any stability issues.<br /><br />if you're thinking of installing a standard t-top, with bimini material as the cover, go for it. it really won't weigh that much and you will enjoy the looks.

jim tee top

Cadet

hi all. we put 4.3 by 5.2 approx on 16/17 footers all the time.....just need to limit wt...this top should weigh app. 30 lbs max.........jim

ob

Admiral

I made a stainless steel tubing T-top for my 15 ft. Dauntless Whaler that is removable to garage store.The wife fabricated the canvas panel with stainless eyelets for the whipping cord.Don't get much windier on a regular basis than south Texas salt water fishing.It works great and don't see how we survived the summers before we made it.Boat is equipped with a 70 hp Rude that will rap 6000 at WOT and have never had any stability issue.

texas_whaler

Seaman

Yeah, my plan was to go with a canvas top on it and make it as light as possible!! I need a control box or anything else on it....Just basically a place to get under the shade while out in the bay or lake all day!! The bay gets real hot..I think it would be easier to fish with than a bimini because it would attach to the console instead of the the sides of the boat!!<br /><br />Hey OB,<br />do you have apicture that you could post up here of your boat with the top installed??

heatherjoy

Seaman Apprentice

Pictures please!! We have a 15' center console that could use a light t-top.

93bronco

Ensign

try<br /> t-tops <br />search the site you can find pics of installs that people have sent in.<br />-

texas_whaler

Seaman

jim tee top,<br /><br />What kind of cost would one be looking at for a small lightweight t-top with a canvas top for a 17' whaler to be custom built with no frills?<br /><br />OB,<br /><br />do you have any pictures of your 15 ft. Dauntless Whaler with t-top that you could put up here?

ob

Admiral

Sorry I've been out of pocket lately guys as we had some minor flooding problems down here in Corpus.I'll try and post a pic within the week of the T-top .