how often to charge batteries

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How often does everyone charge their batteries??<br />I have a '76 mel hart with '76 150hp Merc. I charge my starting battery about every other time out, and my deep cycle trolling every time. Also, how long is a starting battery normally good for? Mine is about 3&1/2 years old!!

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how often to charge batteries

Conventional wisdom in my neck of the woods is that a good battery will last at least three years if properly cared for and much longer if you are lucky and the demands put on it are not too severe. Having a volt meter and a hydrometer for testing do help. I suppose the main concern would be the marine starting battery. (Car starting batteries are not as solidly built structurally and may not take as much pounding.)

ZmOz

Captain

If your alternator is working correctly you shouldn't need to charge your starting battery...

Salty Sal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you trickle charge them, they will last a lot<br />longer than the norm. I use a solar charge panel that plugs in to your cigarette lighter.<br />It trickle charges your battery. The main concern is NOT using the battery- that is when the <br />cells form a sulfur plaque that makes the battery <br />unchargeable. If I were you, get a second battery<br />as a safety precaution, and simply alternate batteries. The solar charge panel (less than $50)<br />is a good investment.

LubeDude

Admiral

Im with OZ, Why are you having to charge your engine battery?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used to charge my starting battery once a week until I got off of my lazy buttox and fixed the charging system. after that it does not need charging during the season. I do the trolling battery the night before I go out.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, you wrote CHARGE! Sorry, did not have my glasses on. :eek:

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

For the cost of a battery once every four years, I don't baby them. I charge both troling motor and starting battery off my outboard- using an isolator switch. In order to keep the voltage down when charging the deep cycle, I use long and thin cable - different from the ones going to the trolling motor. Proper way would be a resistor I suppose but like I said, why bother. I can remember when I bought the boat and asked them to wire the trolling motor battery. He looked suprised and said 'you don't chrage it like that...you take it out and charge it at home or charge it from the dock.' What a freakin inconvenience! For the cost of one tank of gas, I can buy a deep cycle battery. So far every one I have owned (3)has lasted 7 years or more. Matter of fact, my first deep cycle battery from my old boat got transferred to my car after at least 5 years in the boat -maybe more. That was in 1996 or so. Since I put it there, I only buy deep cycle batteries for the other cars I have owned since. They sure have come in handy the odd time I have left my lights on and don't seem to suffer in the cold of winter at starting. The one battery was ten years old when i sold the car and wasn't showing any signs of needing replacing that winter.<br />They're batteries, they work for you. Even if you abuse them, what's $80 every three years at worst? Charge it with your OB and save your shoulder socket and a lot of time.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br />I do the trolling battery the night before I go out.
Now come on Jason, You have been here on the forum long enough to know thats not right. :eek: Put them on the charger when you get home from fishing, Deep cycles will last longer if left charged, not in a state of dischage for a lenth of time. TSK, TSK.

18rabbit

Captain

If your alternator is working correctly you shouldn't need to charge your starting battery... <br />
Your typical alternator cannot completely charge your battery. You may be operating with a battery with as much as 20% diminished capacity if you rely solely on an alternator for charging. You need a low-amp/high-voltage charging scenario to completely top-off a battery. A multi-stage charging scenario is necessary to obtain the faster bulk charging (high-amp/low-voltage) needed to maintain the battery in an optimum use profile.<br /><br />You can achieve the preferred multi-stage charging scenario with the addition of a regulator in the alternator-based charging system. Balmar and Xantrex are a couple of several companies that make the regulators. However, the alternator has be operational long enough to complete the charging cycle…in other words, starting and stopping your engine may not allow for complete charging even with a regulator.<br /><br />
... a good battery will last at least three years if properly cared for ...
Depending on the quality of the battery and your dedication to maintenance, you may get 5+ years of use from a typical Exide battery. Users of high-quality Surrette/Rolls deep cycle batteries are getting 12+ years of use from them.<br /><br />
How often does everyone charge their batteries??
Bottom line: your battery should be completely recharged as soon as possible during and/or after every use.