Can I use a V-6 outdrive with my V-8 setup?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys,

I'm actually pretty well versed in this matter, but wanted some opinions.

Here's the situation.

My Sundancer has a very ratty outdrive that has terrible electrolysis related corrosion and is probably nearing the end of its serviceable life. I was going to buy an SEI drive of the correct ratio (1.5 in my case) and call it done, but I happened upon a deal I couldn't pass up. I recently bought a complete Alpha 1 for pennies that is in near new condition, thinking I would just use the lower half. It came from a V-6 boat and I have confirmed it's a 1.84 gearset.

Now to my question: Can I make reliable use of this gearing with my V-8?

Here are some facts. Boat weighs 6000 lbs. with 4 people and fully equipped for a weekend. I currently have a never installed 15 pitch, 3 blade aluminum prop. The old one is toast. This boat is a cruiser, not a racer, so it will never see WOT...not even to get on plane. I am very gentle with the throttle and have big 'ol hydraulic tabs. I know that running 1.84 gears in place of the stock 1.5's will cause the engine to potentially over rev.

Can I compensate for the different gear ratio of the V-6 outdrive by increasing my prop pitch an equivalent amount? For example, Sea Ray suggests at largest, a 15 pitch prop with the small block 350 on my boat for quicker planing performance; but then top end suffers as maximum rpm will be hit very quickly.

Conversely, with a 19 pitch, it would be a dog getting on plane when using the standard 1.5 gears, but would have much greater top speed if running at or near WOT...which I don't want to do. I prefer to use cruise rpm of 3200-3300.

Would using a 17 pitch prop be the perfect compromise with this setup; or will 300 horsepower with the 1.84 gearing be able to spin a 19 pitch and still be able to stay on plane at 3300rpm?

Hope you engineering types love to perform these equations!

Thanks for any insight folks. I hate to buy props just to "try them out." :facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Can I use a V-6 outdrive with my V-8 setup?

The ratio difference between 1.5 and 1.84 is 1.23, so multiple your current prop pitch by 1.23 and that's the size of prop you'll need to run the 1.84 and still get roughly the same performance.

I can't see any other problems running that ratio...

If you give me the performance specs you're getting at the moment I'll run them through my prop calculator and see what it says...

I need - prop pitch, Revs at WOT (hope the tacho is accurate), boat speed at WOT (preferably measured with a GPS)... The drive ratio I already know and the prop diameter will be 14.5"

Chris.........

timing_ca

Seaman Apprentice

just reading the thread the question I have is,will the outdrive be able to handle the hp difference. I'm new to all this thanks Rob

Technorunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if im not misstaken the drives have the same internal shafts and bearings only thing that is diffrent are the ratio gears.

achris

if im not misstaken the drives have the same internal shafts and bearings only thing that is diffrent are the ratio gears.

You are not mistaken....

achris

achris, do you think this prop would work for him vs. the 14.5" diameter props???

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me..._992202_Propeller/765/1141/?*******=800130387

I use a big diameter 4 blade on my boat and it seems to really help on being able to cruise at low speed and easier accelleration vs. the 14.5" diameter prop??

Large diameter props are good for soaking up high torque and converting it to thrust so yes, that would be a nice prop. He'd still need to do all the testing as far as WOT revs, ect..

rodgeml1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Guys,

I'm actually pretty well versed in this matter, but wanted some opinions.

Here's the situation.

My Sundancer has a very ratty outdrive that has terrible electrolysis related corrosion and is probably nearing the end of its serviceable life. I was going to buy an SEI drive of the correct ratio (1.5 in my case) and call it done, but I happened upon a deal I couldn't pass up. I recently bought a complete Alpha 1 for pennies that is in near new condition, thinking I would just use the lower half. It came from a V-6 boat and I have confirmed it's a 1.84 gearset.

Now to my question: Can I make reliable use of this gearing with my V-8?

Here are some facts. Boat weighs 6000 lbs. with 4 people and fully equipped for a weekend. I currently have a never installed 15 pitch, 3 blade aluminum prop. The old one is toast. This boat is a cruiser, not a racer, so it will never see WOT...not even to get on plane. I am very gentle with the throttle and have big 'ol hydraulic tabs. I know that running 1.84 gears in place of the stock 1.5's will cause the engine to potentially over rev.

Can I compensate for the different gear ratio of the V-6 outdrive by increasing my prop pitch an equivalent amount? For example, Sea Ray suggests at largest, a 15 pitch prop with the small block 350 on my boat for quicker planing performance; but then top end suffers as maximum rpm will be hit very quickly.

Conversely, with a 19 pitch, it would be a dog getting on plane when using the standard 1.5 gears, but would have much greater top speed if running at or near WOT...which I don't want to do. I prefer to use cruise rpm of 3200-3300.

Would using a 17 pitch prop be the perfect compromise with this setup; or will 300 horsepower with the 1.84 gearing be able to spin a 19 pitch and still be able to stay on plane at 3300rpm?

Hope you engineering types love to perform these equations!

Thanks for any insight folks. I hate to buy props just to "try them out." :facepalm:

Well, I have an alpha 1, gen II with a ratio of 1.47 and I need a 1.81. Unfortunately I just bought an new SEI outdrive. If I can return it without much of a penalty, would you be interested in making a trade?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I have an alpha 1, gen II with a ratio of 1.47 and I need a 1.81. Unfortunately I just bought an new SEI outdrive. If I can return it without much of a penalty, would you be interested in making a trade?

Thanks, but no. I'm keeping this outdrive. It's in near mint condition.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why not regear the mint drive with your 1.5 gears from the other drive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since this is more about re-propping a drive with the wrong gear ratio, I am moving it over to the prop forum.