Any REGRETS so far in LIFE

dolluper

Captain
This is pretty broad well maybe your take .....Only regret I have is I was a natural in the sport of baseball.....My mother ended any success in that sport.......JB's post on home runs sparked this plus my parents are both dead now and I can speak out....The real story is I was a very very good pitcher an an outstanding fileder{great arm}plus I could knock the ball out of the park at bat ....had the eye / hand co=odination.....When Iwas 12 in the minor leauges I pitched.......Mr Roody...former pitching coach for Balitmore Oriles drafted me to the Major leagues......I pitched 4 innings in the majors and played feilder for the rest of innings .hit 2 home runs at bat,first game in Majors....... was drafted to Connie Mack right away youngest ever.....my parents had to sign waviers.....at the time my father was in hospital hyrenia operation .....he was injoyed to sign the wavier IN Hos[ital my mother refused to sign it stating she didn't want to lose us both.....so friggin sealfish......That ended my life in basebal.....I was super bad for awhile then mechanics.........did very well so it pans out I guess

sasto

Captain
Re: Any REGRETS so far in LIFE

Regrets? Sure, but I would not be the man I am today without them.

That's right, Bubba. I'll add that if i regreted one thing in life so much as to change it....I wouldn't be here where I'm at....at this time and place. I like where I'm at in life.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Regrets...I've had a few....but then again, too few to mention. (F. Sinatra)
Seriously, my biggest regret was not saving up the dough and having the foresight to go travelling a lot more when I was younger. I had some friends that went to Europe when we/they were in their late teens and I don't think I fully understood why. However, in moving around Canada in my professional life I really came to appreciate the concept of new places, people and cultural shifts...which even in Canada exist in a pretty substantial way. Now, we are really gearing up to go to Europe within the next year or so but I'm trying to get beyond the ol' 2-3 week trip or the insulated and fairly lame cruise or bus trip angle.:eek:
So yeah, if I could wind the clock back...I would have spent several years 'on the road' throughout Europe and beyond I think.:):cool:
BP

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Tough one, dolluper, must have taken a long time to get by that.

I have a zillion regrets, large and small, but the older I get, the more it all seems to even out.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not finishing my college degree like most of the folks my age. Although I regret it, I am also cognasant of the fact that I beat to the tune of a slightly different drum.

If I were to go back to school, I dont think I would complete courses just to satisfy a BA requirement, but thats probably the most legitimate way for me to turn this regret around. On the flip-side I am kind of proud of myself for doing so well without one as that also defies most of the statistics out there.

Has it hurt my oppurtunities...No. Has it helped me by not having it...I dont think so. Great career at 30, served my country, travelled the world, sobered up, have a wonderful supportive woman and I'm utilizing my strongest skills I know I have so it is tough for me to find something I regret.

Oh plus I'm a boat-owner...which to me is more of an american dream than owning a home as it gives me a feeling of freedom.

The other regret may come to haunt me later but it could turn out to be not having kids sooner in life as I have none at 30 but do hope to soon. If I never have kids that will be a future regret, but I would probably adopt if for whatever unthinkable reason 'we' cannot do it all natural.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Regrets? Sure. But I also believe that they must be held loosely for this reason. When faced with a challenge or decision, we have only the information available to us AT THAT time. While we may later come across information that would have led us to a different conclusion than that which we made, it is irrelevent now. Store the information for the next (or similar) circumstance you will encounter. Shoulda, coulda, woulda just ain't so!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Regrets are the seeds of wisdom.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Life the great maze of the unknown, for every door that gets closed another opens and we will never know what the outcome of not walking through that one door may have lead to, either good or bad outcomes could have happened.
Its all just a crap shoot.

What I hate is when I think back over time and see the results of myself doing a stupid thing and seeing the door being slammed shut in front of me do to my own stupidity.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Regrets are the seeds of wisdom.

So that's how it works!

What I hate is when I think back over time and see the results of myself doing a stupid thing and seeing the door being slammed shut in front of me do to my own stupidity.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

I think you're onto something there.

robert graham

Admiral

Charles Dickens wrote in The Tale Of Two Cities, "It was the worst of times, and the best of times"....that's life, and you gotta be thankful for all you got Today!....things keep changing and no use grieving over all the negatives!;)

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Charles Dickens wrote in The Tale Of Two Cities, "It was the worst of times, and the best of times"....that's life, and you gotta be thankful for all you got Today!....things keep changing and no use grieving over all the negatives!;)

Exactly the perspective of my post, Robert...you have the information available at the time the decision needs to be made and that's it...anything you learn later is irrelevant to the original decision. But newly learned information can be added to the decision-making process for the future. I guess JB is right...it's becomes and is called wisdom. Thanks JB;)

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Lots, who doesn't? That's why they have that hindsight is 20/20 saying.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I regret growing up in Wash DC, and a plethora of others!

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

I regret growing up in Wash DC, and a plethora of others!

Ahhh come on now - farm boys don't get a education like that , even now days !!
Best to have loved and lost,, then never loved at all -- so many knocked at my door in the
early days , as i was going out the back door to work on the farm !! I Regret not opening the door __o was i nieve!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I "try" to keep looking forward and not backward.......... Life today is what it is. You can't look into a bright future if your eyes are still filled with tears from the past.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I regret marrying my ex-wife instead of following my dream into baseball. I regret not going to Angel Falls when I had the chance. I regret only buying 1000 shares of stock in my company when it was only $1 a share. The company sold 18 months later for $18.26 a share.

You can't look into a bright future if your eyes are still filled with tears from the past.

Those who cannot or do not want to remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Shoulda coulda woulda's Nah..NO regrets so far. A few funny stories, a lot of wisdom gained, and an education I wouldn't trade for all the riches in the world....wish I could get a pay check from it sometimes.
I have great Kids (in my eyes) and an understanding wife (even if she seems to have more than a few persona's)

Hind sight may be 20/20 but looking to the future sharpens your focus and keeps it keen.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regrets..... Got married and shoulda stayed single, bought a minivan when i wanted a camaro......

Seriously no. My wife is truly my best friend and i love my ram, decisions i made along the way were right for me at the time, didn't always work out too good but hey, thats life! Look where your going not where you've been.:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That ended my life in basebal.....I was super bad for awhile then mechanics.........did very well so it pans out I guess

The problem with parenthood is that you have to learn it as you go, and make decisions that you may question for the rest of your life. At age 58 I've pretty much forgiven my own parents for all the lousy stuff they did, but often question some choices I made as a parent myself. Case in point-

10 years ago my son was shopping for college. A decent Lacrosse player but mediocre student, an expensive school offered him some scholarship money to play for them... but it wasn't much, and the remaining tuition was gonna cost ALOT. After agonizing over it, I felt I had to say no. He was bitterly disappointed. There followed 6-8 years of failed schooling at 2 other colleges until he finally achieved an associates degree. It was a really rough time for all of us. He's now doing work that he seems to enjoy, but I still feel bad about my original decision and wonder- did his problems getting a degree prove my point that the first college would have been a waste of money, or was I responsible for those problems? I'll never know, will I?

Bottom line, most parents do the best they can, and can only hope they don't screw the kids up too badly along the way. I have to fall back on the fact that I was a better parent than mine were, and all in all my kids had a decent childhood with parents who really cared about them.

You're still a bit resentful over what happened to you, but there's also no guarantee that your life would have been 'better' if your mother had signed that waiver. A million other things could have screwed that career before it even got off the ground. If your life is good now, be thankful. If it isn't, you have the power as an adult to change it.

My .02