94 2 stroke 40hp mercury starter problems?

93LundProV

Cadet
Recently my starter has been giving me issues and i now every once in a while need to tap my starter with a pliers to get it to start. I am assuming i need to buy a new starter, if so anyone know exactly how i replace this on my own?
I have a basic undesrstading on how to with disconnection the battery, then that cable attached to the starter, and the mounting bolts but if anyone has specifics that would be greatly appreciated.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 94 2 stroke 40hp mercury starter problems?

Probably 95% of all starter problems is electrical. Is the battery fully charged? Check all your connections. They must be very clean and tight. Check the lugs very closely for any signs of corrosion. They can corrode inside where you can't see it and cause the problem you are having. If you know how to do a voltage drop test you could check them that way. Another way would be to temporally substitute the cables with jumper cables. If all the cables have been confirmed good, try jumping the starter solenoid. Just because it clicks does NOT mean its good. If you are sure the solenoid is good have your battery load tested, regardless of age. This brings you to the starter itself. Remove it and have it tested by your local auto electric shop. They can rebuild it for you if needed and save you some money. Let us know how you make out.

93LundProV

Cadet

Ok, i now feel like a big ignorant, last minute, dummy.... I have searched through the threads for similar problems to what i have and i should have known to check all my electrical over better, as that is what most replys have said.. Anyway im from MN and walleye opener is tommorrow and i finally am now getting around to troubleshooting this problem after sneaking out and fishing too many times with having this known problem. Anyways i went to disconnect my battery which i thought i had good snug connections on i discovered that on my negative terminal that i had arc'd the wingnut to the post (in which i proceeded turningthe entire bolt on the battery which lead to tearing the entire bolt from the lead on the battery and cutting with a sawsall.) so when i reached back under to my battery to this wingnut i assumed it was secure because of how tight it felt, but further inspection revealed that the wires were not completely snugged down. Going to clean up my connetor rings with some sandpaper now and purchase a new battery and see if that fixs the problm. Offcourse i already ordered a starter after discovering this but i guess i at least i will have it with on my trip if i find the battery doesnt fix my problem. I will keep you guys updated as this bad mechanic proceeds.

93LundProV

Cadet

Unfortunatly a new battery and solid connection did not fix my problem. Ended up having to replace the starter but now all is better thanks for the help.