Need advice

vmcts

Cadet
I am thinking of buying a bass boat. Something like a ranger or skeeter. Is it possible to use this type of boat for skiing or wakeboarding also?

Thank You

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Need advice

Sure it should, it may not be the perfect boat for those activities but it will work, same safety rules apply of course and you may have to take some other precautions to do it safely but people do it all the time, just takes a decent sized boat with enough horsepower

southkogs

Staff member

Skiing, yes. Wake boarding may not work as well. You need to cut a rather significant wake for wake boarding to work the way it's supposed to. Those bass-rockets don't leave a big wake by design. I don't know if I'd add fat sacs to one or not. They have so little freeboard I'd be worried about swamping one.

It'd pull the wake board, I just don't know if you'd have all the fun of big waves while you're on the board.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

MMM I dont know much about wakeboarding but a lot of bass soats throw out some nasty wakes.

Lowe170

Seaman

You'd also need to factor in a ladder. Most bass boats don't have them, but I know at least one maker (whose name escapes me) has an emergency ladder built in.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Most brands of bass boats also have a fish and ski version with windshields and consoles in front of the driver and passenger seats. They'll usually have a folding ladder on the back. This would be the better boat for you.

It all depends on how much you will be skiing and/or tubing and/or boarding. You might do better getting a different kind'a boat, as real bass boats are usually very high powered beasts. They're at their best running 50 mph or more--twice or three times the speed pulling a tuber or wake board.

mk4713

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can fish from any boat. I've tubed behind a bass boat and learned you can recieve bruises from water lol. If its kids skiing you may wanna consider something a little more suited for pulling a ski rope.