Lifter & Push Rod Replacement Question

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need some advice here. Do I have to purchase marine lifters & push rods for my 1985 Merc 305 engine?

I'm currently rebuidling my engine and if yes, where is the best place to buy them for the best price & quality as a set?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lifter & Push Rod Replacement Question

You do not need marine parts like that. But if you have flat lifters you cannot replace them without replacing the cam. If you have roller lifters, then you can replace but expect to see some high chrome readings in your oil samples until the rollers wear into the cam.

As for the push rods, they can be changed without any adverse effects. Used ones can even be used.

In 1985 your engine should have flat lifters, but I thought I would mention rollers in case it was ever changed.

cr2k

Captain

My self I would replace the lifter and push rod and go for it. If you have to change the cam you will have to change all the lifters anyway.
So why not see how much you can get out of it. Worst that can happen having to change the cam and lifters anyway.
I have changed lifters only on SBCs with no problems in the past.
If I am that wrong I am sure someone will jump in and blow me a new one!

fishrdan

Admiral

if you have flat lifters you cannot replace them without replacing the cam.

I've never heard that before, the only stipulation I've heard with putting new lifters on a used cam is you need to go through the cam break-in procedure again, so the new lifters spin during initial break-in. (1500-2000RPM for 15-20 minutes)

If the push rods are in good condition, not galled up, I'd reuse them. Lifters can be purchased at an auto parts store...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

a complete cam and lifter set is $180 for a flat tappet. a set of lifters alone is $90, i would go ahead and replace the cam while your in there.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You do need to specify that you want 'anti-pump up' lifters...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I'm currently rebuidling my engine and if yes, where is the best place to buy them for the best price & quality as a set?

I recommend getting them thru your local machine shop and ask them. I am running Comp Cams products from cam thru retainers, with Ilsky springs. The local engine builder suggests Elgin Cams as a good solid choice over Comp or Crane. Elgin custom grinds the cams per your application.

you can get really good prices thru Summit Racing as well, however the prices were about the same as the local machine shop.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

But if you have flat lifters you cannot replace them without replacing the cam.

Think you have this backwards......you can replace lifters w/o replacing the cam, but if you replace the cam you MUST reploace the lifters.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can also use old push rods but it is advised that you roll them on a surface plate or sheet of glass to ensure they are not bent. As for anti-pump up lifters, that's also not required since revs on an I/O are not in the oh-my-gosh range. It certainly wouldn't hurt but it is not needed

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also use old push rods but it is advised that you roll them on a surface plate or sheet of glass to ensure they are not bent. As for anti-pump up lifters, that's also not required since revs on an I/O are not in the oh-my-gosh range. It certainly wouldn't hurt but it is not needed

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone who threw in a quick response which is the whole group. Second, I found everyone's opinion very interesting & valuable.

The machine shop that is re-conditioning (Inspecting) but I'm sure will want to hone the block, has recommended that I replace my lifters especially since they are out of the block and warned of cam damage if I attempted to use the "Used" lifters because they have to match exactly the way they were before which is almost never going to happen unless you mark your tracks to perfection...

They also recommended that the push rods be replaced. I'm just thinking long-term and if I do the rebuild 100% not be cheap on little stuff or throughout that I will be rewarded with many more years of less 500mg headache relief and $$ leaving my account.

I'm sure I'll have more to post as I continue through my "Engine Re-condition," which I'm sure will be a fun & rewarding when it's all done.

My step-dad has stage 4 cancer and my mom yes mom but hey it's going to be mother's day so I can BE a man and not be picked on because of the time of year but the fact that my step dad is a nice guy and I feel bad for him because he has maybe a year left to live and he likes to boat so I think's it cool that I have a cool group here at iboats offering to help out.

A true boater does not give up, quit, or allow excuses to stop a summer of fun.. The time to play is now, so boater's let this season begin (yeah sounds Hollywood I know lol) and have some fun with mother nature. I may never be able to get way from this one I think??? Maybe if I drink too much this will not cross my mind?? lol..

JMW129

Later boaters!

JMW129