automotive type plug wires?

nwcove

Admiral
ive been getting a recently aquired johnson jw-21 ( 1966) back to running condition. sometime during its life it had automotive plug wires installed. it starts easy, runs well, but the idle is not quite ( very close tho) to what id like to see it. i am a firm believer that metalic core wires are the way to go , but how much difference would i see if i put the right wires on it? ( its a for sale motor, and does run well.....just dont want to get into it for more $$ than i can get out of it)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: automotive type plug wires?

If you want to do it right, put in the copper core wires and try it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Doesn't the automotive type wires have more resistance than the copper core wires?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

From what I remember about my automotive days it does and shouldn't be used on th OP's mtr. They had resistance built into them. We used to call them carbon track wires.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Question was how much difference he would see. Probably none. Possibly easier starting. Possibly less low speed miss...if it is missing at low speed.

nwcove

Admiral

tried to get the local napa outlet to buy a roll of wire, but that was a no go. as far as cold starting the motor....its just ..pull the choke, and pull the cord. it does idle slow enough in a barrel , just rolls the water a bit, but as F_R mentioned, i was wondering if the right wires would make any noticeable difference. ( and as i mentioned, this motor is one id like to sell and im at the break even point now with dollars spent compared to what i can get for it.)