Looking for an installation manual or measurements for AD31P-A.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing the old twin AQ225D/280 engine/drive combination in my boat with AD31P-A/DP-Es. I need to reset the engine beds and wondered if someone knew where I could find the measurements necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for an installation manual or measurements for AD31P-A.

I am replacing the old twin AQ225D/280 engine/drive combination in my boat with AD31P-A/DP-Es. I need to reset the engine beds and wondered if someone knew where I could find the measurements necessary?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this link and download the file.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...i1EfNxWty3jM1GbQQ&sig2=l8XiLHJl-Rw3I4WReLca6g

and

http://www.4shared.com/office/3ODAofPr/DPE_Transom_cutout_template.html

Terry

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, Terry.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I don't have the engine installation tool for setting the engine beds and the instructions don't offer information related to doing it without. Obviously the crankshaft center needs to be exactly 90 degrees with the transom shield. I can rig up a jig to simulate the engine/mounts to accomplish this, but I would need to know the measurement from the crankshaft center to the underside of the mounts ... the installation manual doesn't cover this. Can anyone tell me this measurement?

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found an old Volvo AD31/DP brochure and it looks like the distance is 5", maximum, is that correct? Also, it lists the distance from the transom to the mounts as being 29". Is that measurement from the inside of the transom at the center of the shield?

Bondo

Staff member

Well, I don't have the engine installation tool for setting the engine beds and the instructions don't offer information related to doing it without.

Ayuh,.... Then maybe ya oughta Get 1....

No way I'd mount a motor, Without an alignment bar....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What you need to do for your engine mounts is install the engine in the transom shield while still supported by the overhead hoist. Get the 3 alignment marks where they are supposed to be. Then with the front mounts about mid travel on the threads, measure for stringer pads location and height. Err on the too low side, it's easy to add shims under the mounts, a real pain to have to lower them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ayuh,.... Then maybe ya oughta Get 1....

No way I'd mount a motor, Without an alignment bar....

Would you ? ;)

Part Number: 3860305
Description: DRILL TEMPLATE (Volvo Penta)
Retail Price: $ 1911.58
Weight: 26.87

Bondo

Staff member

Would you ? ;)

Part Number: 3860305
Description: DRILL TEMPLATE (Volvo Penta)
Retail Price: $ 1911.58
Weight: 26.87

Ayuh,.... Of course, I'm shootin' from the hip on this 1, But,...
Yer directions above mirror what I'm implyin', but didn't say,...

As I don't know whether this Volvo is aligned with an alignment bar, or otherwise...
My only point is that hangin' the motor where it needs to be, then buildin' the mounts up to it, is the way to go...

I'm guessin' this is another of the funky Volvos that's aligned with something Other than the standard Alignment Bar,...??...

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Relax, Bond-o. I'm merely trying to do as much as I can for the mechanic that is doing the installation. He is the top Volvo guy in my neck of the woods and has all the tools; however, I'm very capable with my hands and need to save a few dollars in this economy.

I've installed the new fuel tanks, replaced all wiring for the new gauges, new engine harnesses, in the midst of installing the transom shields/pumps and wanted to get the beds done for the engines. If it's that big an issue, I'll let him move them himself. I did look at the tool and the price put me off ... obviously!

Thanks for all the input, but I guess this one will be left for the professional.