Attention FL Boaters

V153

Lieutenant Commander
No matter what side of the Manatee fence ya sit on this is a must read.

Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, best I could do with the equipment at hand ...

Attachments

• ManateeMoneyTrail 001.jpg
    ManateeMoneyTrail 001.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Attention FL Boaters

Government doing what it does best...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If this becomes a Gov't discussion it will be zapped.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Interestin'. One more reason to stay outta floriduh

:rolleyes:

<<)))(((>>

NYBo

Admiral

<sniff> <sniff>
Hmm. I think I smell a political discussion nearby.:facepalm:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

If this becomes a Gov't discussion it will be zapped.
Never intended to be a 'Govt discussion'. Huh? Capt Ron speaks the truth. And speaks for many of us who frequent Charlotte Harbor'n Lemon Bay?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

No government discussion. Just another shining example how the best of intentions begins a turmoil of revenue generation, taxation, and careless spending of the people's money. I remember Florida in the late 70's, when the manatee population was truly threatened. Increased idle speed zones in the known areas where manatees congegrate and breed, then it trickles out to the areas where "one was seen...once", and then to the homeowners who have friends in higher places and lobby them to slow the boaters down so they ever need seawall repairs. I am all for the preservation of indiginous species, but did you know that they never put a limit on the manatee? They moved them from "endagered" to "Protected", and that's where they'll stay...even if the population grows to 100,000. Open ended policy.

And if you think it's just in "Flori-duh"...think again.

Mr. Demeanor

iboats.com Partner

Never intended to be a 'Govt discussion'. Huh? Capt Ron speaks the truth. And speaks for many of us who frequent Charlotte Harbor'n Lemon Bay?

Like the new zone smack in the middle of Lemon Bay.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just another shining example how the best of intentions begins a turmoil of revenue generation, taxation, and careless spending of the people's money.

And if you think it's just in "Flori-duh"...think again.

Yup, totally agree.....

<<)))(((>>

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

They need to spend a ton of money and time just to complete the original program of seeing how many should be in the population, before they can decide what they should be classified as.

It's a lot of waste for a species that is not native in anyway. Sure we should protect where they mass in numbers (most are being power plant spill ways and springs that are parks), but as Fireman stated it's been very much abused and large spaces are now manatee zones only to make life better for a few rich people. Here in our town the whole trip to the inlet is one for no reason except not enough complaints or something. They keep trying to shut down beach driving to cause those people want private beach (oh no it's for the turtles. they stopped it on 4/5's the beach but now the homeowners that didn't get private beach are mad)

And the city didn't take the funds for the new mooring field.
And they didn't take the funds for the new boat ramp on the causeway to relieve the overcrowding
And they won't let the Delta Queen move to town
And they redid the water front but there still isn't docks you can use to go shopping
And they paid to build a inside restaurant on the water and didn't have them put in a floating dock.

:facepalm:

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I find it hard to respond without it sounding political. Unfortunately facts usually end up sounding political. They are using the manatee excuse to try to close Silver Glen to boaters. Most people we spoke to at the town hall meetings, and at the Glen on the weekends say they have been going to the Glen for 40-50 years in some cases and the only reporting of a manatee was a wounded mother pushing a calf in there one time.

Unfortunately, more and more of our land and waterways are being shut down siting enviromental reasons. Not to sound like a cliche, or a commercial, but we are all land and waterway users in some capacity, check out Blue Ribbon Coalition. It is mainly a land use group helping to keep land open to enthusiasts, but this concept can be applied to waterways too.

I am all about saving the enviroment, endangered animals and all. Unfortunately it always seems to turn into a money and power grab.

As Fireman says, if you think it is just Florida, you are kidding yourself.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Like the new zone smack in the middle of Lemon Bay.
Yeah dontcha just love that one? I see people blow through it all the time, must be a great source of revenue. To tell the truth I missed the new sign heading south Sunday. Didn't realize it 'til I got to the other end, whoops! Didn't hit anything ... Fwiw I doubt folks speeding through are doing it on purpose. The signs look very similar, 'specially from a distance.

Hey Mr D have ya tried heading north lately? Don't bother ...