AQ170 Temp Sender

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,
Starting off boating season, :D

I'm trying to get my temp gauge working. Quick question is this the temp sensor?
tempsender2.jpg

I'm planning on replacing it with kemparts tw67 sensor, it's for the auto version of this motor, 1973 Volvo 164 w/B30.
Volvo marine part: Link
Auto Part: Link

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ170 Temp Sender

Looks like it might have been the temp sensor at one time. The automotive version may not have the same resistance values as the marine version. So be prepared if it reads wrong. Get yourself one of those IR temp guns and when you get it running and up to temp, check the temp right beside the temp sensor and see if it agrees with the gauge.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

If it's the same part number or the aftermarket supplier says it's compatible with the correct part number then it may work. If you're trying to obtain the part locally to avoid the wait, try NAPA. They carry Sierra parts. The automotive version may very well be the same and may work fine but may also be different. You just don't know with something this old. It's frustrating to have to wait for parts but it's just as frustrating trying to cobble something together and find out it doesn't work.

heryrg2711

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The automotive version may not have the same resistance values as the marine version. So be prepared if it reads wrong.
I think the sensor comes with a gauge, so the only thing that worries me is the correct thread size, i think B30 auto motor will have the same threaded temp sensor, right??