Odd Trim Noise

ANIM8R

Cadet
Good day all !

Well its almost time to put the boat in the water for the season. I notice the last couple of times I took it out last year that when trimming it up or down ( whether under load or at the dock ) it made a clicking/popping noise. Has anyone had this happen to them. The boat is paired with a Vmax 150. I have checked the fluid level and its fine. I'm thinking it could be the Trim "cups" where the rams hit the underside of the engine, maybe slipping a bit.

Any incite on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers - Brandon

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Odd Trim Noise

My 1999 Yamaha 90HP tilt/trim makes a few noises right when I first hit the button, but it seems to get better pretty quick...I believe it may be caused by some air bubbles in that hydraulic system....I ain't messin' with it! Good Luck!;)

ANIM8R

Cadet

My 1999 Yamaha 90HP tilt/trim makes a few noises right when I first hit the button, but it seems to get better pretty quick...I believe it may be caused by some air bubbles in that hydraulic system....I ain't messin' with it! Good Luck!;)
Thank you for your post ... To me it doesn't sound like air in the system ... more like a metal on metal under pressure skipping noise. Loud enough that under load @ 50mph and I trim it .. .I can hear it over the motor. I may replace the trim cups for they are a bit rough and see if that helps.

robert graham

Admiral

I always put a blob of grease on those cups/trim rams so they slide easily, in fact I have removed those cups and polished them on a wheel until shiny, just to be sure...it's just one bolt holds each one on...heck, polish the tips of your rams also!...It's hard to imagine those ram tips making that much noise, but maybe?...at least you may be able to eliminate that as the source.