Force 50HP 1990 Tilt/Trim problem

I have a 1990 Force 50hp model 507F90C that the trim on it makes a clicking noise at the relays when you mash the switch up and down. Does anybody have any suggestions on what might cause the trim to stop working? Thanks for any help.

RRitt

Captain
Re: Force 50HP 1990 Tilt/Trim problem

check the circuit breaker. if it is already reset then get a voltmeter and check the bitg red wire for 12V. if the big red wires has 12v then have a friend operate the switch while you test the blue (up) and green (down) for 12v. sometimes the magnets inside the motors are accidentally glued in upside down. They just fix it by making green=up and blue=down. So don't get too confused if blue and green appear swapped. If you have 12V in but not 12v out on either of two relays then buy some new relays.

I checked all the circuit breakers and wires and I have 12 volts. I tried two new relays and they also clicked. I think they are fine. I even took the cap off of the trim motor where the blue and green wire go in. I took my test light and checked the up and down wires and both had power to the motor. Could it be the brushes inside that are contected to the blue and green wires maybe not making good contact with the armature shaft? I guess an electric current is made between the two magnets when power is supplied. For some reason the motor is not turning. It's getting power. Any ideas? Thanks.

mech91

Recruit

I also have a 1990 15.7 ft Quantum with a 1990 50hp force. The tilt/trim went from working up and down to only workingup. I checked both breakers there both good. I noticed one of the two relays were clicking so as my friend hit the down button while i tapped it it worked for a while then it stopped. I flipped both relays around then only down would work so i figured that one relay was bad so i ordered a new relay put it in and the same thing when i have to go up i gotta swtch them around same with down. id greatly app any help thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

New????? Relays can be bad out of the box.
A clicking doesn't mean it's good.
If it's not working in one direction(even switching the relays) there is something with the connection.
Clean them,WD-40 Or contact cleaner.Sand paper.

RRitt

Captain

I checked all the circuit breakers and wires and I have 12 volts. I tried two new relays and they also clicked. I think they are fine. I even took the cap off of the trim motor where the blue and green wire go in. I took my test light and checked the up and down wires and both had power to the motor. Could it be the brushes inside that are contected to the blue and green wires maybe not making good contact with the armature shaft? I guess an electric current is made between the two magnets when power is supplied. For some reason the motor is not turning. It's getting power. Any ideas? Thanks.

now that you have taken cap off motor, it probably needs rebuilding to regain former life expectancy.