How to Remove Plugs from Ford 5.0 VP?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Its obvious to me there is a special tool to get at these without removing the manifolds but what is it and where do I find one?

Re: How to Remove Plugs from 5.0 VP?

They come out with a standard plug socket!!
Unless they a Champion, then most will break upon removal, and some upon installation!!

sethjon

You don't actually think I'd ask the question if a regular socket would remove them? Only 1 plug is accessible without removing the manifolds unless there is a special socket. There is no room to put the ratchet on the socket.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Champion spark plugs are longer, and even with a special socket will usually break.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sparkplug Socket.JPG
    Sparkplug Socket.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

sethjon

Don, I don't get what the picture means. What I am saying is that the overall length is too long. I can get the socket on but then there isn't enough room to attach the ratchet except for one plug. Does the picture mean to grind the length down? If so, what a **** poor design

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if you can get the socket on, use a wobble extension and then the ratchet.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I can get the socket on but then there isn't enough room to attach the ratchet except for one plug.

If you can get your plug socket on the plug, then you do not need to grind it. I've never seen many engines at all where you can just put a fat-headed ratchet directly on a plug socket (if I understand the method you are describing) and have enough clearance to pull it off. There's nothing magical here. All you need is an extension (between the socket and your ratchet) that is long enough to get your ratchet out past the manifolds. Frankly I doubt you even need a wobbler. A nice long extension will also give you something to conveniently attach your torque wrench to in order to properly tighten the new plugs.

Don S

Do you have a Ford or Chevy 5.0L, Volvo has used both. Fords are a problem, for accessing plugs. The ford plug socket is both a ujoint and tapered.

Untitled1.jpg

sethjon

Do you have a Ford or Chevy 5.0L, Volvo has used both. Fords are a problem, for accessing plugs. The ford plug socket is both a ujoint and tapered.

View attachment 145587

Its a Ford. Do I need to go to Ford for the socket or will any parts shop have it?

Don S

That is a Volvo tool, not Ford. I doubt you can even buy it from Volvo anymore, they stopped using Fords in 97.
The reason I posted it is so you could see it. Make your own, I used my cut down socket and a universal and have always been able to remove them. Yeah, it's a struggle at best, buy doable.

Thalasso

Commander

Its a Ford. Do I need to go to Ford for the socket or will any parts shop have it?

Doesn't the end of your plug socket have bolt head design where you can use a open end wrench?

How about an extension??
I've pulled my plugs out at least a dozen times in the last 2 months. 5.7 Volvo (same as a 5.0)
Socket, 2" extension, ratchet. Using a wobbly increases the chance of breaking the plugs.

mybadford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about an extension??
I've pulled my plugs out at least a dozen times in the last 2 months. 5.7 Volvo (same as a 5.0)
Socket, 2" extension, ratchet. Using a wobbly increases the chance of breaking the plugs.

I think he has a 5.0 Ford, Not a 5.0 GM.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

How about an extension??

Not the same. I likewise made this assumption becuase original poster provided no details. Therefore my advice above should be ignored.

You are speaking of a Chevy based Volvo, as I was. Original poster has a Ford based Volvo. Entirely different animal...

sethjon

That is a Volvo tool, not Ford. I doubt you can even buy it from Volvo anymore, they stopped using Fords in 97.
The reason I posted it is so you could see it. Make your own, I used my cut down socket and a universal and have always been able to remove them. Yeah, it's a struggle at best, buy doable.

Thanks Don. I'm gonna give it a try but one thing still is a little foggy to me. If you grind the socket down, will it still be deep enough to reach the bottom of the plug with the ratchet on it?

Don S

You grind down the outside of the socket, not the length.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I just changed the plugs in my Chevy/Volvo with just a regular spark plug socket, ratchet and an extension. I had no problems.

Don S

He has a FORD, not a Chevy, completely different.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Sorry Don, misread the thread title.

sethjon

Doesn't the end of your plug socket have bolt head design where you can use a open end wrench?

Yes it does. Didn't think of that. Now I just hope the socket is high enough to be able to swing the openn end. thanks for tip.