weber 4 barrel carb needs rebuilding, I think?

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1996 Rinker 18' with 4.3Lx mercruiser I bought this winter, has about a 2 second delay when trying to pull a skier out of the water. On another post, someone said to accelerator pump. I pulled the breather off and turned the key on to start the fuel pump. Then i got my daughter to push the throttle down. Only one of the metal tube from the accelerator pump had any fuel come out. It still only had a small trickle come out of the other. My local shop said it sounds like the accelerator pump needs to be replaced and might as well rebuild the carb too. The boat seem to lag a little around 10 mph during the take off also. How hard is it to rebuild the carb and I found a tomco rebuild kit for about $25, are these any good? Also, is there any how to videos?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bondo

Staff member
Re: weber 4 barrel carb needs rebuilding, I think?

Those are one of the simplest carbies to strip, clean, adjust and re-assemble. Just follow the manual and do everything exactly as it says. The problem you have is NOT the accelerator pump, it's the discharge nozzle associated with it.

Don't even think about using a seloc. Here's a link to the GENUINE manual.-> https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfYWRiMDZmNDctMzgzZi00MmIzLTkxNGItMGY1NGExYjJmOGJh

Ayuh,... 'n if ya need Parts, like the Kit, or anything else,...

Edlebrock's carb is the Same Exact, Carbon Copy of the Merc/ Weber....
Edlebrock also has a Manual at their website that beats the 'ell outa Merc's manual, dealin' with that particular Carb....

Get a Street/ Strip Kit, 'n you can tune that carb to run Any motor, darn near Perfectly...

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What will the street/ strip kit do? Also, the edelbrock kit didn't have jets in it, should I replace them too?

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The problem you have is NOT the accelerator pump, it's the discharge nozzle associated with it.

Do you think i can just unclog the discharge nozzle and not rebuild the carb?

Bondo

Staff member

What will the street/ strip kit do? Also, the edelbrock kit didn't have jets in it, should I replace them too?

Ayuh,... The jets should clean up just fine,....

The street strip kit is fulla jets, needles, 'n springs...
The jets usually can be left alone,...
The needles, 'n springs can be swapped out with just 2 easy to get to screws,.....

You can lean or richen 'bout anywhere in the rpm band to tune to perfection, 'n efficiency...

The manual at Edlebrock's site explains it,... Well...

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took a small wire and cleaned out the accelerator pump nozzles and then used 2 cans of sea foam. It did the trick. It got rid of all the hesitation.