4.3l

ddzhere

Cadet
I have a 87 ebbtide with a 4.3L. The engine runs great from 1200 rpm up to WOT. Below 1200 rpm it doesnt idle well at all and below 1000 will die. At idle its puffing black smoke. Plugs,wires,cap were replaced last year. I'm assuming my mixture screws need to be adjusted?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4.3l

That does sound like a possible fuel mixture issue. The fuel is delivered through different carb passages at low RPM. The engine is also sensitive to anything that may be dumping added fuel at lower rpms. The black smoke sounds as if its possibly running rich. The idle screws dont narmally go out of adjustment.

Could be dirt in the carb, float seal and or float boyancy, fuel pump diaphram leakage in vent hose. Other ???

I would probably start with a carb cleaning and rebuild. Hard to say without actually seeing it,

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 87 ebbtide with a 4.3L. The engine runs great from 1200 rpm up to WOT. Below 1200 rpm it doesnt idle well at all and below 1000 will die. At idle its puffing black smoke. Plugs,wires,cap were replaced last year. I'm assuming my mixture screws need to be adjusted?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd sooner think the carb needs Rebuildin'....

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would that not have a marine mechanical fuel pump, that dumps fuel in the carb if the diaphragm is leaking ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Would that not have a marine mechanical fuel pump, that dumps fuel in the carb if the diaphragm is leaking ?

Yep.... Good call. I've seen too many electric pumps lately and forgotten about the mechanicals... :facepalm:

ddzhere

Cadet

Carb was rebuilt last year I guess it could be dirty again yet the filter is very clean. Could this also possible be a vacuum issue?