Mercruiser Shifting Issue

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just replaced a 4.3L mercruiser and re installed the alpha one leg. (Bayliner, 4.3L Motor and drive are from 94) In the driveway it shifts forward to reverse very smooth. Idles around 650rpm. But in the lake while docking it required excessive force to shift between forward and reverse. Back on dry land it shifts fine. The cables seem to be in good shape and slide smooth. When the drive was off I could easily shift the drive in and out of gear. I figured maybe the throttle cable was out of adjustment causing it to bind in neutral but that theory does not hold water as it shifts fine in the driveway. My manual has a step by step cable adjustment I was going to do this week but figured to harm in getting a bit more education before possibly going down the wrong road. Could this be incorrect pre-load on the cables? At the lake, there were a few times after pulling the shift handle back to neutral that I suspected the drive was still in gear. There was a bit of wind and I did not suspect an issue at this point so I did not double check, starting me thinking adjustment. I have read many of the other posts on this topic but have not been able to draw any concrete conclusions. Any tips would be appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser Shifting Issue

I have just replaced a 4.3L mercruiser and re installed the alpha one leg. (Bayliner, 4.3L Motor and drive are from 94) In the driveway it shifts forward to reverse very smooth. Idles around 650rpm. But in the lake while docking it required excessive force to shift between forward and reverse. Back on dry land it shifts fine. .

3 words.... Shift, interrupter, switch....

Have a read of this -> http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1930449#post1930449

Also, what manual are you using? PLEASE don't say seloc or clymer.... :facepalm:

Chris.....

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the manual is Seloc, No good ? I did read that link. Are you suggesting the leg has to come apart to resolve this issue?

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When testing the switch, should it have continuity when depressed ? Maybe I have the wiring from the set up incorrectly? If the motor is running in the driveway and I depress and hold the switch should it kill the motor? Thanks for the help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start the engine up on muffs, operate the shift interrupt switch by hand and see if the engine dies.

THIS is the manual you should be using.

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips, interrupter switch was faulty. Found a used one in the parts bin that works. Problem solved, Thanks for the link to the manual, Much better. Anyone reading this dealing with the same issue take note that the switch is not available on it's own from Merc they sell the shift plate as a unit(In BC anyway) , so using an after market switch is fine as long as you make sure the switch has continuity when depressed. The neutral safety start switch from other models looks the same but is open when depressed.