towing a boat with custom wheels

claude01

Cadet
Hi guys, i've done some searching but didnt see anything specific to my situation. I would like to know if anyone here pulls their boat with a rear wheel drive truck with custom wheels. I am upgrading to a 2003 searay srx with the 4.3 lt merc and im wondering if I'm gonna have a hard time getting the boat out of the water with 22" wheels. My old boat was a smaller 14 footer with 70 horse and that had no problem. Wondering if I should put the winter tires back on for better grip. The boat ramp is decent here, not too steep and its cement. Oh yeah and the truck is an 03 sierra with the 4.8. thanks for the help/advice

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: towing a boat with custom wheels

Only questions you really have to answer for yourself are
1) Are your bling wheels rated for the load of the truck and trailer?
2) Are your tires rated for the load?
3) Have they got any tread on them

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think as long as you have good tread on your tires you will be ok. With 22's your tires are probably pretty wide so they should give good grip if not and if the tow vehicle is 4wd just lock in the hubs and let it eat.

claude01

Cadet

thanks for the info so far... i checked the load capacity of the tires and it's 2600 lbs. The threads are still good. So i have 10400 lbs to play with. The gross weight of the truck is 6400 lbs and the boat and trailer is around 3000 lbs. Since most of the weight is on the actual trailer i think i should be ok

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually your tow rating is reduce due to reduced braking capacity because you have more rotating mass that the brakes have to slow. Id think youd be ok. my 20's on my ram let me haul up to almost 9000lbs. Check with the manufacture on the rim load rating as well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the tire diameter is substantially different than the stock tires and the axle ratio and speedometer calibration have not changed, then there will be a definite loss of power. As for getting up the ramp, traction is the issue and 22 inch wheels with wide tires do not make a good combinatiion.