Water dripping in rain with tops on?

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I have my boat out of storage. I have the canvas and bow covers on with poles propping them up. It's been raining and I can still see water dripping out of the drain plug. It's not a lot, maybe one drop a second or so. Im just wondering, is this normal? I figured with the tops on there would be no water getting into the boat.

I worry about water getting into the hull and rotting out the stringers. Too many horror stories on this forum!

Thanks in advance.

Philster

Captain
Re: Water dripping in rain with tops on?

Normal.

It won't rot your boat!

Boats that rot are left outside to suck up the elements. Boat covers, unless extremely expensive, will drip a little. Leave the plug out, and when you use the boat just clean her up and put her away when done.

Boats can get wet. Boats can't be left outside endlessly to rot. Drips and drops will not do that.

Ok? Just relax.

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hehe alright. This is my first boat and only my second season with it. The carpet that covers the opening in the bow is separating from the floor so it gets me worried. If the carpet is lifting from the floor what else is going wrong?! :D

I suppose I can just glue the carpet back down? Or is there something else I should do with it?

Philster

Captain

Well, all you can do is care for the boat going forward. If 16 years of boating and some mix of exposure to the elements has put some wear on her, you can't undo that. Well, you can, but that's another story.

Is it plywood under the carpet? I guess it is, because it is glued down.

I can let others chime in, but carpet-over-plywood in a boat is just an inherent mess in the first place. Knowing that, we can toss it out there for other opinions on what to do to stave off problems if it doesn't already have some.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Make sure the front of the boat is higher than the back to make sure any water coming in drains out the back. Most crank up the jack or if needed put a block under the jack.

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I put a cinder block under the wheel and cranked it up with a wheel stop under it.

And no, it's carpet over a fiberglass deck.

UncleWillie

Captain

It is more likely Carpet over a fiberglassed plywood deck.:rolleyes:

If you want to know where the water is coming in. (And you know you do!) :p
Just before the next big storm, have someone seal you in under the canvas with a flashlight.
Inquiring minds just want to know! :D

Edit: Or create you own rain with a hose! ;)

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Bekosh. I get a few gallons of the Starbrite waterproofing with PTFE every couple of years, fill a pressurized weed sprayer bottle, with it and douse my canvas. Water just beads up and rolls right off. Its only good for a few seasons but its good peace of mind. Just don't treat the canvas while it's on your boat (the oils can stain your gelcoat). Lay it on the ground or over a clothesline and let it dry afterwards.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Nothing is waterproof. In some circumstances, efforts to keep a lot of water out ends up trapping a little water and then there are issues. In your case, more likely to be mildew than structural rot; that occurs primarily when large quantities of fresh water are trapped below decks. So leaving the bow up and plug out solves that problem. In some set-ups, it's better to stay uncovered and to dry out, than to trap the inevitable moisture.

Re: "carpet-over-plywood in a boat is just an inherent mess in the first place" It it my view that carpet in a boat in any set-up is an inherent mess. I keep reading about all the efforts, and consequences of failed effort, to deal with keeping carpet dry. I get to spend a lot more time boating, and have more money for gas, beer and ice, because I don't have to spend it babying, protecting, covering, draining, cleaning, treating, drying, replacing, and rebuilding all the consquences of carpet being there in the first place.

Philster

Captain

When I ordered my boat, I deleted the carpet (standard equipment) and the stupid snaps that go with it. My boat is a liner boat. The last thing I want is a bunch of snaps screwed into my floor.

Maclin

Admiral

If you are just using the snap on type cockpit and bow covers then rain can intrude in between the snaps, and if the cockpit cover is only across the top of the windshield then rain can also find a way in at the walkthru junction or under the windshield gasketing. Not much but needs to be allowed for.

For extended period storage I put on a throw-away tarp over the existing form fitting cover expecting that the tarp will not be used for more than a season or two. I use tarp clips to shape the generic tarp and keep it tied down.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same problem. Bow up, plug out and let it run out. Water get in through the windshield on mine. When you buy a new boat the floors will be fiberglass so theres never an issue with rot. On your boat with wood floors just continue to keep the inside of the boat ventilated. The cover is mainly to protect your vinyl from the sun.

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to take some pics of the carpet and the floor underneath it. I'm pretty sure the deck is all fiberglass, not fiberglass over wood. I could be wrong. Perhaps some pics would help explain what I mean.

I put a cinder block under the wheel and jacked it up and it seems to be helping. Tomorrow through the weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm so I can uncover it to let it all dry out. That spray on waterproofing seems like a great idea.

Philster

Captain

Fiberglass-encased wood is pretty normal construction. Fiberglass lacks the strength to be the support structure.

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe you. I'll take some pics tomorrow when the rain finally stops. :)

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I`d want to know how much water is coming in and where, might be a simple solution such as readjusting your support poles to prevent pooling. Based on what you find, might consider a new cover or treating the existing one with a waterproofer.