vro removal

bob.nordby

Cadet
I just disconected my vro oil system on my 1988 50hp evinrude. The tank was damaged and the hoses were getting pretty brittle. So far I've just removed the hose and electrical connections to the motor. I am content with mixing the the gas from now on. Is this a good idea? Is there more that I can remove? What can I do to dissable the warning horn?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: vro removal

Leave the warning horn for an over heat condition. Put a cap on the vro where the oil line connected to it and disconnect the wires coming from the vro. And, don't forget the 50:1 premix.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hope Bob doesn't mind my jump inon his thread but I'm about to do the same thing. I apologize if this is a hijack.
My VRO tank and all associated wires and hoses are already disconnected from the motor. Is all I have left to do is plug the oil port on the pump? I thought I read that I also need to disconnect the 3 wires originating from the pump...No?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, disconnect the wires coming from the pump.

phillnjack2

Ensign

This is such an easy job to do.
less that 5 minutes to complete the job.

the only bit that takes time is getting the oil tank out the boat and putting it away in a box.

MAKE SURE YOU PLUG THE OIL PIPE THAT GOES BACK TO THE TANK AS WELL, OR YOU END UP WITH OIL EVERYWHERE

phill