25 hp power problem

firefightered

Recruit
I have a 90's ? model 25 hp johnson. When in neutral the motor will rev to full throttle and sound good. When I put it in gear at full throttle it acts like i have it at 1/4 throttle. When I try to go to idle it stalls. Any ideas? The motor cover had been painted green before I bought the boat and I am unable to find any model numbers ti identify what I have.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 25 hp power problem

First, don't rev the engine in neutral with no load on it, you might be picking up parts on the lawn.
Look on the transom clamp for a model number, that will tell what year it is.
Start by checking the spark and compression, sounds like you are running on one cylinder.

firefightered

Recruit

Thanks for the reply, I only reved it for a second so hopfully no damage. Should I get a spark checker first and see if i have a 7/16" jump?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

That's where I would start, if spark is OK check the compression.

firefightered

Recruit

I also looked at both coils and they both have a small crack on the outside casing. Is there a way to check the coils to see if they are ok?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You might check your local dealer and see if they have a coil tester and can test them for you.
If coils are cracked, they should be replaced, but might still jump spark to 7'16".

firefightered

Recruit

Thank Daviet for the replies. I'll check all this when I get home in the morning. Wish me luck.....
You might check your local dealer and see if they have a coil tester and can test them for you.
If coils are cracked, they should be replaced, but might still jump spark to 7'16".