loseing rpm's 1999 force 120

jharlow214

Recruit
I have a 2000 bayliner trophy with a 1999 force 120. I have taken it to the same marina since i bought it. WOT used to be almost 6000 rpms (but i never ran it that high), then on the first outing of this year, we broke down about 200 yards away from the boat launch. It was WOT and then just shut off. Could not get it to turn over. After a tow back in and got it home, took the cowling off and the bottom carb fuel can had fallen off the carb. took it to the marina, they put the carb back together with a new gasket, a new batery and a new starter and then it would start agian. They took it out for a sea trial and told me that the prop that i bought it with (from them) and ran it with all of last season is not the right prop. So they put on another prop and it got to about 30mph at 5200 rpm. so, took it out again, broke down same exact spot as the first time. same exact thing WOT then just died. Could not get it started. another tow in. Tok back to the marina, they checked the water pump and replaced the impeller. took it back out, could not get over 4000 rpm and it was surging up and down, finnally i got back in only doing 3000 rpm. moter had a very rough idle. told the marina that i was not bringing it back there and found another mechanic that i will take it to next week. i have a video of the motor while it was doing this the last time, if it will help i have to get it off my wifes iphone.

Does anyone have any sugestions as to what the problem could be?

Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: loseing rpm's 1999 force 120

First do a compression test.
That's the FIRST thing ANY mechanic or service center should have done.
What part of the Chesapeake?? There are some real good mechanics out there.
That's the first step in diagnosing any problem.
Then check for spark???
Then fuel.
Do that and when you reply,add some spaces or commas in your text.It's really hard to read all jumbled together.

Some places just replace parts and throw your $$$$ down the drain.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: loseing rpm's 1999 force 120

If the bottom bowl fell off the carb and depending on how long it ran if at all I am afraid there may be some cylinder wall damage.
I had this same thing happen to my 125 and now it toast. Bowl fell off the top carb and I ended up with cylinder wall
damage and broken rings.
Do a or have the compression tested, and spark test like jerry stated.
Dang I hope all is well with your motor, and your back out having a good time.
By the way when a carb bowl falls off then cylinders end up running dry because there is no fuel mix
for lubrication.