1156 LED Lights in Cuddy. Issue.

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys,

Just got in some nice 12 LED 1156 Lights for the fixtures in my Cuddy. Currently, there is a 1156 ST in the fixure and it works fine. I put in the LED 1156 and nothing. I went back to the old one and it worked fine. I then was playing around with it and touched the outside of the socket to the bottom of the LED and it lit very dim.

What do you think is the problem here?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 0

Chip Chester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1156 LED Lights in Cuddy. Issue.

You might check the polarity of your socket. Usually it's - on the shell, + on the inner contacts. It won't matter for standard bulbs.
Also, that bulb doesn't seem to send light back into the reflector. Almost all of it is directly radiated. The light's output pattern is based on the design relationship between the point source of the light, the reflector geometry, and any lens details. You'll have to decide if any of that matters in your application.

Chip

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Almost certainly the polarity is the issue. LEDs are one direction current flow only. Old fashioned Incandescent bulbs do not care which direction the current flows.

TerryMSU

You might check the polarity of your socket. Usually it's - on the shell, + on the inner contacts. It won't matter for standard bulbs.
Also, that bulb doesn't seem to send light back into the reflector. Almost all of it is directly radiated. The light's output pattern is based on the design relationship between the point source of the light, the reflector geometry, and any lens details. You'll have to decide if any of that matters in your application.

Chip

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost certainly the polarity is the issue. LEDs are one direction current flow only. Old fashioned Incandescent bulbs do not care which direction the current flows.

TerryMSU

You guys were spot on! Switch the wires, good to go.

Thanks!

Joe