04' 150 Optimax Turning off and on when shifting

Murray06

Recruit
First time poster, long time lurker here with a perplexing issue;

Have a BW 19ft Nantucket with a 2004 150 Opti, Smart Craft, etc. Here is the deal.

Dropped it in last weekend, started fine, went to shift it into reverse, and the engine died as i shifted, but then started right up automatically. Now, whenever I change any gear, the same thing happens. The gauges turn off and everything, but as its about to stall it and i proceed into the gear it automatically starts right up. Where on earth should I even start?

I recently installed a new VHF and Stereo, could I have messed up anything there? Also put a new battery on this year.....thoughts? Thanks in advance for all help.

Murray06

Recruit
Re: 04' 150 Optimax Turning off and on when shifting

Bump!

Anyone with any ideas?

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At first read I'm going to guess electrical given that you just installed two new pieces of equipment. Is the stereo amped? That draws even more power, and either way, the power you're pulling could be just enough to conk out the engine when attempting to put it into gear. I would go back and follow your electrical lines. Maybe pull the new equipment and run the boat, see what happens there.

You may also want to check your revs at idle, are they where they need to be or are they lower? Have you tried putting into gear at a higher RPM? Give it a bit of gas, and then drop it into gear, see what that does anyways. Do you have a volt meter on the dash? And if so, what's it reading? Should be anywhere between 11-14 I believe. Mine is always just a shade below 14 volts.

I don't know if it's a fuel issue, but it's always worth a check, check the lines, the bulb, etc. Have you tried putting it into gear while parked in the driveway? I know boats and engines under load perform differently, so you want to check that too. Put some muffs on it, fire it up and try changing gears, see what happens.

Good luck and report back on any news.

Murray06

Recruit

At first read I'm going to guess electrical given that you just installed two new pieces of equipment. Is the stereo amped? That draws even more power, and either way, the power you're pulling could be just enough to conk out the engine when attempting to put it into gear. I would go back and follow your electrical lines. Maybe pull the new equipment and run the boat, see what happens there.

You may also want to check your revs at idle, are they where they need to be or are they lower? Have you tried putting into gear at a higher RPM? Give it a bit of gas, and then drop it into gear, see what that does anyways. Do you have a volt meter on the dash? And if so, what's it reading? Should be anywhere between 11-14 I believe. Mine is always just a shade below 14 volts.

I don't know if it's a fuel issue, but it's always worth a check, check the lines, the bulb, etc. Have you tried putting it into gear while parked in the driveway? I know boats and engines under load perform differently, so you want to check that too. Put some muffs on it, fire it up and try changing gears, see what happens.

Good luck and report back on any news.

Actually, the boat runs fine when in gear, and the ampage is at 14.2 so no issues there. The issue is when is only happening when I am changing gear, or crossing the threshold of going into another gear. The electrical change was a simple, pull and plug I just replaced what was already there with new stuff and no real difference in ampage that hadnt been done in the past. All of the new electrical runs through breakers and there is no issues there either.

I have been told that it could be a neutral safety switch? Can anyone find any decent argument as to how that would play a role in whats going on?

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could see it being the safety switch in the control assembly. If you have it in gear F or R it wont start,it kills the ignition. so if internally the switch fell out of position a little bit it could be bumped when shifting into gear, causing your motor to cut out until it gets past triggering it.

Murray06

Recruit

I could see it being the safety switch in the control assembly. If you have it in gear F or R it wont start,it kills the ignition. so if internally the switch fell out of position a little bit it could be bumped when shifting into gear, causing your motor to cut out until it gets past triggering it.

Thanks, this seems like some good information. Im going to take it to the dealer next week and they are going to plug it in. I just want to be informed when taking it in so they arent spending 5 hours looking for a possible issue. Could whatever issue this be related to, have had any role in killing my previous battery? Just curious. Thanks again.

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as there's any type of electrical connection, it's a given that it's going to draw power from the battery. How much power, no one knows.

Let us know what the mechanic finds out.

Good luck;

SSS