Continious Beeping when key turned and solid alarm when trying to turn over engine

rdp729

Recruit
I have a 2005 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI with a alpha one sterndrive with only about 150 hours.

This weekend I went to use my boat for the second time this season (first time I had no issues). When I put the boat in the water from the ramp I could not get the trim to lower from the trailer mode and had to navigate the boat back to the dock with the sterndrive in the trailer position using idle speed so I didn't call too much attention to myself. I probably only had the engine running for 3-4 minutes.

Not sure what to do I turned off the engine and checked the battery for loose wires. Since I didn't see any I tried the trim again and with luck it went down. This time when I went to crank the engine I got a continuous beep when I turned the key (usually only 1 short beep). Not sure what this was I tried to crank the engine and got a sold beep and the engine never tried to even to crank. Let the boat sit for a number of hours overnight and got the same response when i was in the driveway back home (but didn't try to crank since i didn't have any muffs on)

Any thoughts on what to do

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Continious Beeping when key turned and solid alarm when trying to turn over engin

Have you checked the gear oil resevoir?

And by the way, you can't see a bad battery connection, you have to feel it! If you have wing nuts on your battery, get rid of them & put nuts on the terminals! Make sure the cables are SHINY clean, also!

rdp729

Recruit
Re: Continious Beeping when key turned and solid alarm when trying to turn over engin

Have you checked the gear oil resevoir?

And by the way, you can't see a bad battery connection, you have to feel it! If you have wing nuts on your battery, get rid of them & put nuts on the terminals! Make sure the cables are SHINY clean, also!

Thanks. I cleaned the cables and replaced the wing nuts. Beeping went away though I didn't try to turn over the engine since I have it on the trailer. Gear oil was at he operating level line so i think I have it solved.