Battery not charging

magnum350

Seaman Apprentice
I have read several threads but want to post mine. I can charge my battery but yesterday it went dead at the dock. My gauge only reads 10 amps when running. Just bought the boat so I don't know how good the battery is. I will take it to have a load test on it but will that tell me if the alternator is ok? Thanks

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Battery not charging

I think we might need a bit more information. What kind of boat? What engine? How many batteries? Plugged in to shore power? Battery charger on board? Accessories that might be left on (fish finder, GPS, stereo) Trolling motor battery?

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

1. Start boat either on trailer/muffs or at the dock.

2. Rev to 1600 rpm

3. Put red volt meter lead directly on charging post of alternator and black lead on the battery GND post

4. If it's not reading 14v +/-, you have a problem.

magnum350

Seaman Apprentice

1986 Celebrity Cuddy Cabin with 350 magnum mercruiser. Only had it out 3 times. Mostly to test run to get out the bugs. No trolling motor or even a radio on during the day. Single battery. This was the first time I had it on the lake all day. The amp gauge will not go above 10 even when running at 4500 rpms.

magnum350

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot I just trickle charge battery at home for 24 hours

etracer68

Ensign

I havent seen a amp gauge in a boat or car in many years. Are you sure its a amp gauge, I would say its a volt gauge. And yes if volt gauge, it should read at least 13.5.