Lightning AND Boats....?

capercanuck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got caught last night in some bad weather and had to attempt to stay ahead of a lightning storm. I have a 27' Sunray Mirage (powerboat). I got me to wondering if there is a proper method to protect myself and my boat in such a situation, or should I be concerned at all. I know that I am probably the highest point around and it's better to avoid such a situation all together, but as in my case last night there was no warning, it just happened. any comments or personal experiences are greatly appreciated!

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lightning AND Boats....?

Well capercanuck, at least you were in a Fiberglass boat. <br /><br />As far as I know, the only position needed for those who are caught in electrcal storms with aluminum boats is the missionary position.<br /><br />Never leave home or dock without your marine VHF scanning for weather alerts.<br /><br />Mike.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I know that feeling well. We got caught 20 miles North of port in a 21 foot aluminum boat when a huricane downgraded to tropital depression came ashore. Very nice day foggy with seas 5 foot Every 9 sec. Checked forcast and no mention of any storm. We ran to a fishing grounds 22 miles North of Bodega Bay, CA. After an hour or so the fog blow off and we could see clouds off in the distance. Very unusual to see clouds in Summer in California. As storm got closer we could see Lighting but such a big storm no way to go around it. We were just a couple miles off shore so moved in as close as safe to shore hopeing costal mountains would get the lighting. Soon after that both antennas started making a frying sound, it was very loud. I tried to change setting for route back to Bodega Bay and when I touched the Loran got knocked on my butt. Finnaly the seas grew to 9 feet it started to rain very hard. We headed back scared to death but made it ok. When got back to camp found almost everyone had same experience. Before next day I made sure all the antenna grounds were hooked up and even changed them to heaver wire. Everyone said antenna bleeding off static like that is a good thing. Anyway I found on West Marine web site a artical on how to protect a boat from lighting that they would send out for free.<br />I do not remember all the details but main thing was to have a Big Ground Plate in water and run grounds from everything to it. I figured our hull meet the ground plate requirements. You might be able to sent to west marine and see if they still send out the artical for free.

crab bait

Captain

an outboard or inboard in the water acts as a ground plate..

D

DJ

Capercanuk,<br /><br />You are indeed the lightning rod.<br /><br />West Marine has several good books on how to safeguard your boat against lightning strikes.

crab bait

Captain

a few years ago i was crabin' with a buddy in his aluminium river boat at WYE MILLS.. <br />a thunder storm came up real fast on us.. lightenin' everywhere ... i was so scarced i just knew that any moment i was goin' to feel a bolt with my name on it..<br /><br />i was so scared i thought not to pray..<br /><br />i didn't want to draw attendtion to myself

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol, crab bait but we are still here to pass on any knowledge. Hopefully most of it worthy of this forum.<br />Rotflmao.

capercanuck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great stories and tips. The personal experiences are what makes this website all the more interesting. I'm checking out the West Marine site! Thanks again!

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe it or not, a fiberglass boat is more dangerous than a metal boat. If a metal boat gets hit the electrical current will take the path of least resistance to ground (water)that will be through the hull. In a glass boat you are the path, the glass will insulate you only until the charge builds enough energy to travel through you and blow a hole in the boat to get to the water. The safest boat is a pontoon with a metal floor and a enclosed metal top. It is like being in a Faraday cage, same principal as an auto or plane.

SCO

Lieutenant

My old fiberglass sailboat was factory " wired" between the keel and the aluminum mast and shrouds. An FYI, I've heard that the cattle that are facing the tree they are standing under when the lightening strikes are more likely to die than the ones that have their sides to the tree. Reason, more potential develops between front and rear feet than side by side feet as the charge radiates from the tree. Whether or not it's true, the metal cage will better allow the charge to go to ground without development of a potential difference. I'm wondering if standing on one foot while hopping is the best thing to do in a jam.

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good information on the Faraday Cage effect...nothing better than a big steel boat in my book. :)