tac question

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going crazy I did read my book told me to hook my grey wire to sender but the tac is stuck at 5000 rpm does that mean it's no good help plz

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: tac question

Have you got the tach hooked up with B+ voltage from your ign sw and a good ground ??

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you got the tach hooked up with B+ voltage from your ign sw and a good ground ??
what do you mean B + voltage I got direct power in did l to lights s is for the grey wire g is ground and i should be my purple wire is there a way I can test the tach to make sure it's not bad I have it set to five but the needle is on 50 5000 so not sure if it's broke

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

what do you mean B + voltage I got direct power in did l to lights s is for the grey wire g is ground and i should be my purple wire is there a way I can test the tach to make sure it's not bad I have it set to five but the needle is on 50 5000 so not sure if it's broke

I can't tell where any of that starts or ends. Use some periods, commas etc in your explanations so that we know what you're speaking of. If you have a tachometer with a dial and four wires leading from it. The color of the wires should be Blue, Black, Purple, and Gray.

The dial should be set to #6.
Blue wire supplies voltage to the light bulb in the tachometer.... connect that wire to the proper terminal of the light switch.
Black wire connects to a known ground. DO NOT connect this wire to either "M" terminal of the ignition switch!
Purple wire (+ voltage) connects to the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.
Gray wire connects to the Gray wire (sensor) leading from the engine/instrument wiring harness.

If all is well, the tach should drop to zero when you turn the key to the ON positiion.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't tell where any of that starts or ends. Use some periods, commas etc in your explanations so that we know what you're speaking of. If you have a tachometer with a dial and four wires leading from it. The color of the wires should be Blue, Black, Purple, and Gray.

The dial should be set to #6.
Blue wire supplies voltage to the light bulb in the tachometer.... connect that wire to the proper terminal of the light switch.
Black wire connects to a known ground. DO NOT connect this wire to either "M" terminal of the ignition switch!
Purple wire (+ voltage) connects to the "A" terminal of the ignition switch.
Gray wire connects to the Gray wire (sensor) leading from the engine/instrument wiring harness.

If all is well, the tach should drop to zero when you turn the key to the ON positiion.
Sorry Joe using my phone it's a pain in the ***. Now for the dial the one I have only goes to five .Joe for the next part can you explain the A and M plz so I can get this wired correctly

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Joe using my phone it's a pain in the ***. Now for the dial the one I have only goes to five .Joe for the next part can you explain the A and M plz so I can get this wired correctly
OK edit I got the A and M now A is purple and M is black, so your telling me not to use the M for my ground correct. The other part my tech only goes to five is that OK or do I need a different one?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

OK edit I got the A and M now A is purple and M is black, so your telling me not to use the M for my ground correct. The other part my tech only goes to five is that OK or do I need a different one?

I'm not familiar with any tach that only goes to number 5 on its dial so I'll let some other member jump in here to answer that question.

The "A" on the back of the ignition switch stands for "Accessory" which has 12 volts applied to it ONLY when the key is turned to ON or START.... so this is where you would want the tach power supply hooked up to.

And you are correct... DO NOT use either of the "M" (Magneto) terminals of the ignition switch for ground purposes. Reason is... Any component that has voltage applied to it has voltage flowing thru it internally, then that voltage flows out of it via its ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery. If you connect that ground wire to either "M" terminal of the ignition switch, you will have that voltage also flowing towards a powerpack, ignition points, condensers, whatever ignition setup the engine might have... the result being in a very short time a damaged ignition system.

Bottom line... If one does not know of a absolute ground running to the negative terminal of the battery, run a separate black wire and create one to be on the safe side..

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe would it be easier if i took a picture of the tach and send it to you or the model number ?
I'm not familiar with any tach that only goes to number 5 on its dial so I'll let some other member jump in here to answer that question.

The "A" on the back of the ignition switch stands for "Accessory" which has 12 volts applied to it ONLY when the key is turned to ON or START.... so this is where you would want the tach power supply hooked up to.

And you are correct... DO NOT use either of the "M" (Magneto) terminals of the ignition switch for ground purposes. Reason is... Any component that has voltage applied to it has voltage flowing thru it internally, then that voltage flows out of it via its ground wire to the negative terminal of the battery. If you connect that ground wire to either "M" terminal of the ignition switch, you will have that voltage also flowing towards a powerpack, ignition points, condensers, whatever ignition setup the engine might have... the result being in a very short time a damaged ignition system.

Bottom line... If one does not know of a absolute ground running to the negative terminal of the battery, run a separate black wire and create one to be on the safe side..

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A picture, front & back would help. Possibly I might have no knowledge of it but someone here would I'm sure.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe Camera is not working but that is the model number if you can help me out

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I cannot BUT hopefully some other member will jump in here with the proper knowledge.

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Joe this is what i did today, I hooked the ground wire direct to a battery turned the key on the gauge is still at 50 (5000) could that be a sign that the gauge is no good ? Also anything else i can try or should i just buy a gauge and end it, if so what gauge plz

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that tachometer and have been hoping that someone would jump in here who is.

I don't believe that you've mentioned what engine you have. Model number?

mobgod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did it's a Johnson 200TXL77C
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that tachometer and have been hoping that someone would jump in here who is.

I don't believe that you've mentioned what engine you have. Model number?