85 Javelin won't get to WOT after new cable install

JoeAyers

Cadet
1978 Johnson Javelin 85 HP V4

A few weeks back my throttle cable snapped while on the lake. I was able to limp back to the boat launch and get home. I replaced the cable. It idles great, shifts very smooth, but I can no longer get to WOT. I push the lever forward and it seems to stop 2" short of where it did before. How do I adjust the length of travel for the cable without screwing with my idle speed?

This is the cable I replaced, which basically uses set screws on both ends to attach to the motor and control lever.

http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Cont-Cabl...5038219--session_id.767428253--view_id.169404

Edit: Sorry but my original Msg had everything backwards. I actually had to replace the shifter cable. I set it where the motor will shift perfect moving into forward and reverse, but now i have less travel in my throttle.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 Javelin won't get to WOT after new cable install

The pre 79 replacement cables require that you set the set screw holders in place prior to installing the cable. It's common that these ends may not get exactly back in place when the replacement cable is reinstalled. The cable has a turnknob at the engine end so that you can make adjustments to the cable length when installing. Prior to attaching the engine end of the cable, move the spark advance lever nut through it's entire range (idle to WOT) by hand. Then move the throttle lever to see if the cable end travel matches the spark advance lever travel. You may have to turn the turnknob (in or out) on the cable in order to get the two in sync. A good way to check your install is to remove the airbox cover and visually check to see if the throttle plates are level when the throttle handle is at WOT.

JoeAyers

Cadet

So since the shift cable seems to be good I need to make the adjustment in the throttle cable even though it was fine before?

local825

Seaman

That cable should have what is called a true union and that is were you make your ajustments...