5.7 mercruiser alpha one problems

heathm237

Recruit
Ok, I have read through severaly threads and can't figure out anything. I just recently bought a 96 caravelle interceptor with 5.7 mercruiser with alpha one outdrive and thunderbolt IV ignition. The first time I took boat out it ran pretty good had a little dead spot when u hit the gas but I thought maybe some bad gas from the previous owner. The next time I took it out it ran about the same. I ran it comepletely out of gas. I went this weekend and the real trouble began. When i unloaded it would not crank. It smelled like gas so I thought maybe I flooded it. I let it set and still nothing. I took the distubutor cap off and cleaned it and rotor button and got it started. It ran decent but.did not have the power it usually had almost like it wasn't opening all the way up. If u turned it off it would not start again unless u waited for it to cool down and it still seemed like it was flooded cause u had to hold the gas down all the way for it to start. The next day I cleaned up everything and I have ordered me a new cap and rotor button, plugs, plug wires. That should fix the firing problem. I still don't understand he lack of power problem. Do I need to do a rebuild on the carb to stop the flooding? Also the fuel gauge does not work it has power to it but I may show empty when it's full and 3/4 tank when empty. The hand is eberywhere. I bought this boat to replace my 3.0 mercruiser because i wanted more power but this boat is not running much faster than the 4 cylinder. Please help thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.7 mercruiser alpha one problems

I still don't understand he lack of power problem. Do I need to do a rebuild on the carb to stop the flooding?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Start at the fuel Filter, 'n work yer way through-out the entire fuel system,...

It may, or may not lead to rebuildin' the carb,..... What carb is it,..??

heathm237

Recruit
Re: 5.7 mercruiser alpha one problems

I took the Inline filter out and going to replace it along is there another field filter on it.