82 Grady White......I/O Hydraulic actuators won't go down and Electric

LX Kid

Ensign
'82 Grady White Weekender.....Went fishing yesterday and had all kind of problems with battery, engine electrics and outdrive actuators. Haven't had boat in the water in about five months. Checked things out in my yard and my son left the main power switch on and drained the battery dead, dead, dead. Changed battery and everything with the engine worked fine. Brought foot up and it worked good. Tried lowering foot and wouldn't go down. Checked hydraulic flued resevoir and it was fine. Had son stand on foot and it slowly went down. Worked good going back up so "off to the ocean we went." Got to the ramp, stood on foot to lower, and off we did go. (Bad choice) Got to the majic spot and started fishing with engine off. The spot wasn't soo majic so we decided to leave. Tried starting and "no power!" Battery cable tight and then found that the thermal switch had faulted. Reset thermal switch and started just fine. (Had to reset several times during the morning of fishing.) Noticed the amp meter showing a charge of 16volts and the tack pegged and quit working at max deflection so I pulled wires on tach but it still pegged and suspect burned out. Headed back to the ramp and engine spit, sputter and all guages jumping. Pulled positive cable off battery, to see if alternater was the problem and no change in the symtoms. Anyone have any idea about the hydraulic or electrical problem? Thanks

Gonna post electrical problem over in electrical forum.

LX Kid

Ensign
Re: 82 Grady White......I/O Hydraulic actuators won't go down and Electric

Found both problems. The electrical problem was loose nuts on amp guage and bad battery didn't have enough amps to operate the hydralics.

I guess my rpm guage is no good now though. It stays pegged at 6000rpm and won't reset back to zero even with no power applied to it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Found both problems. The electrical problem was loose nuts on amp guage and bad battery didn't have enough amps to operate the hydralics.

I guess my rpm guage is no good now though. It stays pegged at 6000rpm and won't reset back to zero even with no power applied to it.

Those tachos are 'un-sprung'. In order to get back to zero you are going to have to put power on it... They tend to stay where there are when the power's shut off...

LX Kid

Ensign

Uh oh! Did another dum-dum without thinking. Topped off tilt/trim pump resevoir with brake fluid. Now gotta bleed everything out and fill with power steering fluid or 10w-30 oil. I read Don S. post on the subject and then remembered what I had done. Thanks Don S.

I now think my electrical problems are at the starter solenoid. When I wiggle wire harness going down it starts working intermittant. Keep ya'll posted when I get to checking it out.