88 Johnson VRO 150hp control unit question- Also engine will go done but not up?

Paulrd27

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I just bought a new OMC control box for my Johnson and I'm having a bit of trouble. My last control box had a different plug for the wires to put up or lower the motor so I re-attached the wires. Has 5 wires (green, red, blue, white and black). On my last one, the green blue and red wires were connected and then the black and white went to the cluster. What does the black and white wires actually do? Cause when I hooked the other 3 wires up the motor would go down but not up. Does it have to do with the black and white wires?

Also, I've read about the control box making a loud noise when the key is turned on (which mine is doing) that it either had to do with the engine over heating or not having enough oil. Only problem is I have plenty of oil and it will go off when I first start it for the day. It turns over and will start with the noise and when I leave the key in the on position with the motor off it will beep ounce every 2 minutes.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!