Gas tank pickup

mmilla0502

Cadet
Hey guys I have troubleshooted a problem getting gas to the engine as a bad pickup tube but the nut that I should be able to turn to pull the whole setup out is welded to the tank. How else can I get it out or are there any alternative options for fuel pickup in the tank? Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Gas tank pickup

Aluminum tank? . . . your are gonna have to be careful, else you will blow yourself up.

If you remove the sender for the gauge, then you possibly can see what is going on. Is is more likely that the tube is clogged rather than bad. If the tube is "bad", then it could be from corrosion. You may want to have the tank inspected, etc.

mmilla0502

Cadet

The problem is that the pickup tube fitting was put in so far away from the gauge sender hole so I cant even stick my fingers in there to get to it if i wanted to because they are at least 10 inches apart from each other..I would assume its unsafe to mess around with the aluminum gas tank while there is fuel in it but I was thinking about drilling another hole closer the the gauge hole and just putting a new fitting in there?

tpenfield

Staff member

I was thinking about drilling another hole closer the the gauge hole and just putting a new fitting in there?

You might blow yourself up :eek:. Any work done to the tank should be done ONLY after it has been completely purged from fuel and fumes. The fumes are much harder to purge than the fuel, obviously. It is harder to do all this with the tank in the boat.

Got any pictures?

mmilla0502

Cadet

I will post some pics up later..I am actually thinking about getting rid of the aluminum gas tank for a smaller plastic tank so I have easier access to my bilge when I need it. Is there any major advantage or disadvantage of having an aluminum over a plastic tank?