Loss of Power - 4.3 L Mercruiser

Paul Yoder

Recruit
1995 Regal 202 SC
4.3L Mercruiser w/ stock 4brl carb
New to me Boat, problems on first and second trips.

Trip #1:
Last weekend - Topped tank on the way to put boat in for the season. Launched boat. Fired right up, warmed up engine, pulled away from dock. All indications normal. I did several circles close to the marina ( 3-4 miles). Nothing abnormal. So, I took off down the lake. Went to the dam at the far end of the lake (20 miles+-.) Started back, 2 or so miles later the engine missed a little, cleared right up. I didn't make any power changes. 4 miles later I noticed a loss of power, it fell off slowly, over the next 2 miles or so. I was not able to stay on plain. The engine idled fine, you just couldn't accenerate to more than 1/4 power. I had full travel of throttle and carb was making the stops. I thought that I had a fuel filter issue. I limped in to the other marina on the lake would get an occasional backfire above idle. Pulled the fuel filter, dumped out, didn't notice any thing abnormal. I did not have another one with me so I shook it out as best I could and put it back on. The fuel pump quickly filled the filter. I watched the outlet hose pulse to assure the filter was full. I was there an hour or so. I left marina and headed back to my marina. Engine made power and preformed good again. The closer I got the my marina I noticed the power loss coming back. Made it to my slip. I figured that the fuel filter must be saturated with moisture and would need to be changed.

Trip2:
This weekend - Changed filter and put a spare in the boat. I stayed close to marina again. All was good. Headed out on lake. Went 5-6 miles and the power loss started to come back. It was just like the week before. I shut down and changed the filter. Started up and still could not make power occasional backfire. Limped back to slip. I dumped the fuel filter that I took off into a clear plastic bag - no dirt or water. Looking for thoughts and ideas. I am pretty sure it is a fuel issue. It is acting like a carb problem. I am sure it is related to engine temp as well, when at full operating temp the problem occurs. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Where should I go from here?

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Loss of Power - 4.3 L Mercruiser

could be getting a vacuum in the tank, if your vent it clogged. if it happens again, take the fuel cap off right away and see if you hear it sucking in air. If you can run it with the cap off safely, you might be able to test that way, but I'd at least check your vent hose before you did deeper.

rodgeml1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could be getting a vacuum in the tank, if your vent it clogged. if it happens again, take the fuel cap off right away and see if you hear it sucking in air. If you can run it with the cap off safely, you might be able to test that way, but I'd at least check your vent hose before you did deeper.

Where is the fuel vent hose located on that engine? I have the same engine and I max out at 2600-2800 rpms. I've done a full tune-up on the engine and messed with the timing, but can't seem to get past that point.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the check valve in the fuel line. (Probably at tank) could be sticking.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fuel tank vent is most likely right beside the fill hole on the boat. Usually pukes some fuel out of it if you overfill it, or fill too fast. Doesn't take much to plug it up enough to cause a vacuum and starve the engine at high speed.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is the fuel vent hose located on that engine? I have the same engine and I max out at 2600-2800 rpms. I've done a full tune-up on the engine and messed with the timing, but can't seem to get past that point.

sounds like a different problem and you should start your own thread if you want more people to look at it and give you some ideas.

Paul Yoder

Recruit

I will check the vent and the vent check valve this weekend. I will let you know what I find.
Thank you for the suggestions,
Paul