Yamaha F100 Parasitic battery drain

slader99

Cadet
Hey all,

I've got a 2001 Yamaha F100 that's killing my battery when it sits for a week or two. I've found the drain is about 0.0100A draw (not tons but enough to wreak your day).

I've found the draw goes to zero when the 30A fuse is pulled but haven't been able to isolate it further. Can any suggest a couple components or areas that would be worth further investigation?

Thanks!

Colin

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha F100 Parasitic battery drain

look at your service manual's wiring diagram to see what all is fed from said fuse and start disconnecting things until the drain disappears.
Could be in wiring harness also
.01 amp is not much, but it will hurt after a long enough time , and a shorter time if battery is not a good one

slader99

Cadet

Took apart lots of the cowling on the motor and found that the problem was not located in the engine compartment. It appears that its either in the factory gauge cluster or throttle control. Disconnecting the the inline fuse on red wire at the end of the harness makes the problem disappear. I guess I will troll around and try and find a wiring diagram to see if I can narrow it further.

Have you checked your automatic bilge pump? I've also had stuck starter solenoids drain my battery, but it was much more current than the 10 mA that you're reading. In the meantime you could install a Perko switch and just always remember to switch it off when you park the boat.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You are chasing a phantom. 10 milliamps is not excessive. I suggest you have your battery load tested.

slader99

Cadet

Well it appears I've found the drain (small as it is). Looks like its the gauge cluster - apparently there is a Yamaha relay that was available as a band-aid fix. No luck finding it as of yet.
http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/forum2/yamaha-gauge-wiring-mysterious-item-th16101.html

Thanks for the replys.

As far as battery load testing goes is there anyway to do this at home? Can you apply a know load and measure the voltage drop or does it need to be brought into a battery shop?

Cheers,

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you have a battery load tester you can do it on the boat, but most people do not have one. You can buy one or take battery to any auto part store that sells batteries and have them test