Should I buy this boat?

nokiddin

Seaman
Hey all, I am new to this forum and pretty new to boating, so I am seeking some advice. I want to buy a boat, my main interest will be fishing, mostly casting and jigging, but maybe some trolling. Also, if I could get a boat that could pull someone tubing or skiing, that would be great too. I know, its not easy to find a boat that can do both well, but I am an entry level boater on a budget, so doin my best to find something that'll work.

I have a friend who is selling his 1977 Crestliner Crusader 550 with a 115 Evinrude. Its is good shape and he will sell it to me for $2000. I can't find much info on this boat, so I have some questions.

How shallow of water could I run in with this rig?

Will it be awkward to fish from this boat with about 3 people?

Will I be able to mount a trolling motor on this boat?

And last, just tell me if I am crazy to think this will work.

My concern is that I will be mainly fishing and don't wanna end up with a boat that I hate fishing out of just to do watersports a few times a summer.

Thanks for any help!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I buy this boat?

Hi, and welcome to iboats!

I don't know what a 1977 Crestliner Crusader model looks like, and I doubt many others do, either. After all, it's 35 years old.

- How do you know it's in good shape? Have you checked the integrity of the hull, transom and stringers?
- What's the layout- closed bow runabout, bowrider, center console, cuddy cabin?
- What type of hull? V-hull? Trihull?
- How big (length) is the boat?
- How many people will normally be aboard? Where do you boat? Lake, bay, ocean, river?
- Is the motor a 1977, too?
- Does that price include a usable trailer?

nokiddin

Seaman

Hey sorry I should have also said its a Crestliner Crusader 550. Its a v hull and according to iboats specs, "This Crestliner outboard runabout has a fiberglass hull, is 15.25 feet long and 77 inches wide at the widest point. The boat weighs approximately 925 pounds with an empty fuel tank and without any gear or passengers." It is not a bow rider, closed bow. Its a bit of a drive to see the boat, so will need to check it out myself, but I do trust him that it is in good shape. The motor is a 1970, but has been gone through. Not sure of the layout, but expect console on right, back to back seats.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a 35 year old, fiberglass boat, with a 42 year old motor, defaults to around $1000-1500 value in top shape, to me.

nokiddin

Seaman

Yes, there is a usable trailer with the boat.

Usually will have 2-4 people aboard, boating on lakes, maybe the odd river. The boat is not a cuddy cabin, just a runabout

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

At just over 15' and with a closed bow, you're not going to have much real estate in the cockpit for fishing. I would say you'll be lucky with two aboard (including yourself) have enough room not to be tripping over each other.

PBRman

Seaman Apprentice

At just over 15' and with a closed bow, you're not going to have much real estate in the cockpit for fishing. I would say you'll be lucky with two aboard (including yourself) have enough room not to be tripping over each other.

Get something with an open usable bow.

PBRman

Seaman Apprentice

sorry for the duplicate.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

a 35 year old, fiberglass boat, with a 42 year old motor, defaults to around $1000-1500 value in top shape, to me.

I agree. I also agree that this boat is gonna be tight trying to fish with 3 aboard.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

NO do not buy.

Electric shift outboard with many parts that are NLA and VERY VERY costly!

The boat is over the HP limit.....

Too many bad vibes and I really do not care how well it is taken care of....... the price is TOO HIGH.

Buyer beware!!

Oh sorry to sound so down on this but the electric shift outboard being older than the boat scares me.

Welcome to iboats!!

Things to avoid.....
Electric Shift Outboards
L-Drives
470 I/O
OMC Stinger Drives

You are doing the right thing seeking advice!!

nokiddin

Seaman

Thanks to everyone for the advice, seems like the best I've received since I started shopping. Just to clarify, this boat, with a good trailer and in hypothetical great shape is still not worth the $2000? I live in Manitoba, Canada, whether that makes a difference or not, I don't know.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify, this boat, with a good trailer and in hypothetical great shape is still not worth the $2000?

No way. That vintage boat/motor, if it's mint, maybe $500?

Being a fisherman, have you looked into an aluminum boat yet? Something with an open bow?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Still not worth 2000. I know boats are expensive up there, But that motor is not a good choice. The boat has high sides, and low seats, hard to fish out of.
most important, its over powered, thats illegal in most places these days.
plus it is glass, and prone to rot under the floor and in the transom.

This would be better, and you could still do a few waterspouts with it.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-Mercury-Motor-and-trailer-W0QQAdIdZ377463775

And here is a classic Starcraft aluminum hull, already refurbished. Will handle large water and watersports.
It is high sided, but has raised pedestal seats.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...boats-Starcraft-Holiday-18-W0QQAdIdZ377459637

nokiddin

Seaman

So, I will not be buying that boat.

Same friend has an older starcraft aluminum 15 ft with a 50 hp merc, steering wheel, back to back sleeper seats with fish finder, trolling motor and towbar and trailer. Asking $1500.

Will this boat do any watersports? I am surprised it has a tow bar.

Not sure on the year of the boat and motor, but do you guys think thats a little more fitting for me?

nokiddin

Seaman

So I have been pretty interested in this classic starcraft seen at this link.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ377459637

It seems like it could do everything I want and for some reason i think it just looks cool. Will this size of boat restrict me at all, will things get tight in small, shallow bays or will I find it less maneuverable? Can this 18 ft alum with an 85 horse pull two tubes at fun speeds?

In general is it a better investment for me to pick up an aluminum instead of fiberglass when they are late seventies to early 80's?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So I have been pretty interested in this classic starcraft seen at this link.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ377459637

It seems like it could do everything I want and for some reason i think it just looks cool. Will this size of boat restrict me at all, will things get tight in small, shallow bays or will I find it less maneuverable? Can this 18 ft alum with an 85 horse pull two tubes at fun speeds?

In general is it a better investment for me to pick up an aluminum instead of fiberglass when they are late seventies to early 80's?

Not seeing the ad but...

An 18' aluminum with an 85 is kind of a do all boat. It's a great middle ground for a fella who is attempting to fish, ski, tube, not too big, not too small, fit in the garage, easy to tow, big enough for the family, small enough for a couple of guys...

Aluminum better investment?

Um, yup (in my entirely un biased, objective opinion):D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Rosco!

I always get a little nervous when I see "restored" boats. It would be wise to know the build materials and methods used. Example: Marine Grade Ply completely sealed with epoxy vs. pressure treated ply installed with drywall screws. Both would look the same in the photo, one would be totally worthless and make for a total gut/rebuild job.