Volvo Penta 431 on 91 wellcraft eclipse- squeaking and slow acceleration

Pauly K

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta 4.3 I/O 91' on a Well-Craft 186 Eclipse. 2 issues
1. I just replaced the water pump/housing/impeller/thermostat last year. It ran fine after that. This year I took it out and there is an awful squeaking when the engine is rev'ed or a load is put on the engine (ie. turning the steering wheel, it is PS). It sounds like the squeaking is from the impeller or PS pump, but can not tell for sure. I am pulling water up and have no issues with temp.

2. Engine is running fine at idle and top speed. It takes a long time to get off the plane though. I have new props, new gas, and spark plugs replaced last year. after about 30 minutes of cruising at various speeds, I went to top speed and I got a couple misses. I returned to port to diagnose.

Any help would be appreciated.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta 431 on 91 wellcraft eclipse- squeaking and slow acceleration

It sounds like you have a loose/slipping belt. Does the belt/s feel loose?

Your other issue sounds like a dirty carb or water in fuel. Are you using a water separating fuel filter? have you changed it this year yet?

Pauly K

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 431 on 91 wellcraft eclipse- squeaking and slow acceleration

The belt feels tight, but have not been replaced in atleast 3 years since I have owned. I read in other posts that it could be the pulleys or bearings. I plan on checking those for rust once the weather clears up.

I replaced the fuel filter last year. It does have a water seperator. Over the winter I did add fuel stabalizer (had about a 1/4 tank left) and added Chevron Tecron FIC with a fresh tank of gas.