1989 - 125 HP Force Propeller pitch - On a 1989 Capri Bayliner 17 ft

bluecapri

Cadet
Could someone provide info as to what propeller pitch would be best suited for a single exhaust 125 HP Force Outboard 1989 on a 17 ft 1989 Bayliner capri?

I would like to know whether the 17 pitch could be practical - If I wanted to pull a Tube and use it for simple cruising around the lake.

Is there someone who has practical experience with using 1 prop say a 17 pitch for both applications as mention above?

Thank you,

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 - 125 HP Force Propeller pitch - On a 1989 Capri Bayliner 17 ft

The guys in the prop section would be more helpfull, and welcome to iboats, but you will need to know your WOT rpms, props limit the motor rpm and guessing is a sure wat to blow up a motor

etracer68

Ensign

Welcome aboard, please read the "Read This First" so we can give correct info. A 17 pitch sounds about right, but we need to know all the other info.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Without knowing the actual RPM and pitcvh of the prop you are now using using it is difficult to give a definite answer.

NOW: On a 17 foot hull with an average load and only tubing/cruising you do not need the low speed pulling power a lower pitch prop will give to pop a skier or wakeboarder out of the hole. I suspect that for the use you said, a 13 X 19 prop would give good performance --Provided-- that the engine will rev to 5000-5500 RPM at wide open throttle. If you intend to carry more than 5 people then a 17 pitch would probably be better. Again, the main factor is the wide open throttle RPM and without knowing where you are now it is just an educated guess.

On a variety of boats (mine) with a variety of Chrysler and Force engine sizes (85-140) my working props are 17 and 19 pitch--occasionally a 21 pitch. The one in the avatar is a 105 with a 19 pitch prop on a 15 foot hull.

bluecapri

Cadet

Thank you ...I was informed that the RPM for the Force outboard is around 6000. However, I will verify this data. Due to the age of the outboard I am challenged to find someone knowledgeable with this product. But so far the the information received by various members is helping to narrow down the pitch for both use. The scenario you described is very realistic. The prop was removed and I did not get a chance to record the current numbers. I will have to get back to you. However, since I purchased the boat and motor a year ago ...I was informed that the propeller on the outboard could of been replaced. Therefore, any information should confirm the appropriate pitch and size of the propeller.