shift handle ?

pci

Recruit
I bought a 1994 tracker runs great but it shifts backwards forward is reverse & reverse is forward. Is this something I can change with the linkage at the handle?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: shift handle ?

Not knowing what motor, which controls and if it was hooked up properly........ and maybe a photo or two would help.

etracer68

Ensign

Was there any lower unit work dont on it right before you purchased the boat? I take it you didnt test run the motor, before you laid cash out. As Bob stated, alot more info needed.

pci

Recruit

I did hear the motor run with the muffs on. Its a 40 hp Mercury Tracker the only work I know of is he had a new water pump installed last year. Its the shifter at the counsel that is backwards pull it back & that shifts to forward. What should I take a picture of to help?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow that's weird...... Something is hooked up-side down. Is this a single handle control???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing at the outboard that can reverse fwd/rev, It has to be in the control. Just post a picture of your control, it may or may not be Merc.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Pull the cowling off the motor. Now locate the shift cable. It is usually the lower one of the two cables. Have someone move the throttle from neutral to forward (push it forward). If the shift cable moves forward, the controls are set properly, and the problem is that the gearcase has been incorrectly installed.