1968 Johnson 9.5 question

Mcginnis88

Recruit
I just got this motor and I have replaced the spark plugs and the primer bulb. What is happening is that after it runs for a min or two it starts knock almost like a gear is catching and the motor jerks a little when this happens. It will do this at idle a few times and then die. Any thoughts?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1968 Johnson 9.5 question

Hmmmm....puzzling; eh?

It's idling in neutral when it does this? Have you tried putting it in forward? When you talk about a gear catching and jerking it makes me think that the shift linkage is mis-adjusted and the clutch dog is engaging?

Chuck

bublitzjos

Cadet

does the primer bulb get hard when pumped and to me it sounds like fuel problem not sure if linkage was misadjusted that it would cause it to die is there maybe a clogged filter that is not letting the vaccum created by engine to suck up fuel, i am new to boat motors so just trying to help

Mcginnis88

Recruit

It is in neutral when it does this but I put it in forward and gave it a little gas and after a few seconds it does the same thing. The primer bulb is a good question cause I can pump it two or three times but like on the forth time the bulb stays sucked in. It was doing this to me so I bought another bulb and it does the same thing. I put a new 6 gal. Gas tank in with new fittings on the tank and at both ends of the fuel line. I keep the vent open on the tank also. I pulled the fuel line off the carb. And squeezed the bulb and it is getting gas to the carb. I will try to take a video of what it's doing, upload it to YouTube then post a link here tomorrow.