Looking at SunDeck Sport 202 I/O -- ADVICE WANTED

cooie

Recruit
We are looking at a new 2012 202 I/O and have a few questions for owners:

1. What size engine would you recommend for slalom skiing -- pulling a 200 pound skier with three people in the boat?

2. What engine will pop a skier? Both? We'd prefer a 4.3L over a 5.0--just for fuel efficiency. We don't have gas station on lake.

3. Why are Hurricane boats so heavy for their size? Is that good or bad?

4. How does this boat handle in shallow water--at no wake--say 2 feet? We need to get to a dock that is shallow.

5. What are the pros and cons?

6. Any prefers in the Volvo or Mercruiser engine?

7. Anyone have a 4.3L with a Bravo 3? What do you think? Is it peppy out of the water? We aren't concerned with top speed, but pulling out a skier.

Would love any and all input! Thanks!!!

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking at SunDeck Sport 202 I/O -- ADVICE WANTED

I have a 2008 FD202GS I/O 4.3L 190 HP and I'd say the basic hull appears to be very similar. First the 4.3L has enough power but based on my personal experience, the 202 is not what I'd consider a ski boat. Can you ski behind it? yes but if your looking for ski boat performance I feel a deeper V boat that's lighter and more nimble is a better option. I'm sure other here with deeper V models can comment on their Hurricane's performance. Bottom line the 4.3L has the power I just personally don't think the 202 hull design is the best option for serious skiing, but you can ski with the boat. The boat runs pretty shallow by design, 2' would be close not based on how deep the boat sits but with the depth of the out drive you'd be getting close. No wake my boat hunts do I have to keep the throttle engaged to keep a straight line but I really don't find that an issue, same you have to do with many boats. As far as the Bravo Drive, can't help there I have an Alpha 1. Far as Merc or Volvo, I personally prefer Merc but I'm sure others prefer a Volvo. I love the 202 for my application which is tubing and using it as a swim platform with a lot of friends & family. It's a great "all around" boat and the 4.3L is plenty of power. But I'll be the first to admit it's not a serious ski boat, check some of the other Hurricanes. Good luck I'm sure you'll be happy with a Hurricane boat.

ShadowB

bear_69cuda

Commander

Good advice from ShadowB... Also you may want to consider on outboard for power. A 150-200 hp will easily pull skiers/tubers... And will allow you to get in the shallows with ease...

cooie

Recruit

Thanks so much for your responses. I really appreciate it. We currently have a Bayliner Capri 1950 v-hull boat which allows us to ski and while we don't plan on keeping it, we aren't avid skiers. We like to do it occasionally. We have been on high end ski boats and realize this will not be that--but if it will allow us to ski, that would be great, too. We are trying to balance the needs of a whole family--that's where it is challenging--from 80 to 16! Thanks again!!!

Thanks for the info on hunting in no wake without the throttle. We have to be able to get to a dock in 2 feet of water --where we are in no wake for 200. That might be tricky.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As usual, great advise from the previous posters!

I?ve got my 2012 SD237 I/O in August 2011 and it has a very similar design/layout to the SS202 I/O you?re looking at. I?ll share my less than one year experience, especially with the Bravo 3 drive.

The 4.3L MPI rated at 220HP was the standard offering on my model. You are correct; Hurricane?s are heavy and very STABLE! I upgraded to the 5.0L MPI ECT Mercruiser and elected to go with the Bravo 3 drive. The pulling power, smoothness, improved handling (especially at low speeds) and better efficiency of the Bravo 3 drive is not mentioned very much with Hurricanes. It seems outboards are more popular with people that buy these boats, much like ?bear_69cuda? suggests. There?s pros and cons for both technologies, but I can say that the 4.3L/5.0L/5.7L are all very tried and true GM based engines (I?ve had the car/truck versions of all of these in a number of vehicles over the years with excellent service). The challenge is powering the boat right the first time, so going to these forums can be a big help. The 5.0L will probably make the stern sit a little deeper in the water, due to the added weight, so the 4.3L might get a plus here. Pulling skiers and towables are effortless. The boat jumps out of the water and planes very quickly without hardly any bow rise with or without towing something. My boat is good for about 24? of draft with the trim up (but still effective) coming in to dock, I would think that running the 4.3L on your size boat would draft a bit less (an Alpha drive is a bit shorter in depth than the Bravo 3). One thing about using an outboard, it gives you some better visibility on how high you have the engine trimmed, especially in shallow water. As far as the boat itself, I really don?t think you?ll find many other boats your size that will draft less than a Hurricane. The I/O configuration also lets you take advantage of a full length swim platform; outboards have smaller ones on each side of the engine. It makes dealing with swimming, skiers and towables so much more convenient. I had my choice of Mercury or Volvo as well and both are good manufacturers. I chose Mercury/Mercruiser mainly due to the higher availability of dealers (I trailer my boat to different locations from time to time and there is always a Mercury dealer somewhere near by). This was also true for parts availability (both OEM and aftermarket). I guess time will decide if I made the right decision. If you keep your boat in the same body of water and if your dealer or some other Volvo dealer is near by, then this may not be much of an issue for you. Although I could have gone up to 320 HP max, I went with the 260 HP and elected to up the drive system. This configuration also takes advantage of a bit better fuel economy the 5.0L engine offers over the 5.7L (300 HP) or 6.2L (320 HP). The regional sales manager for Hurricane explained to me that deck boat hull designs are pretty much max?d out at around 50 MPH or so, so spending a ton of extra money on the higher HP engines (the jump from 5.0L to 5.7L was around $4,500.00 more?. I didn?t even price the 6.2L) wouldn?t yield me as much as the extra overall performance features of the Bravo 3 drive (especially since you are not running WOT 100% of the time). My engine/drive configuration is good for about 45 MPH WOT with outstanding acceleration and maneuverability. It has a 22.5 prop pitch and stainless steel props for this drive is standard. Overall, I couldn?t be happier with the boat and the engine/drive combo.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Great luck and fun with your new Hurricane!

cooie

Recruit

Thanks so much for your help!

Anyone own a 217?? And ski behind it?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks so much for your help!

Anyone own a 217?? And ski behind it?

I've got a 217 with a Yamaha F150 outboard. Plenty of power for skiing, wakeboarding, tubing etc.. I upgraded to a 4 blade prop, and added Smart Tabs to improve hole shot and reduce planing speed. I found the original setup planed at around 19 mph, which was a little too fast for some wakeboarding. With the 4 blade prop and Smart Tabs, I can plane at around 14 mph, which makes it much easier to maintain good wakeboarding speeds. I was also happy to find that the boat kicks up a decent wake for intermediate wakeboarders.

My skier is about 175 lbs., and no problems pulling him around.

I don't know how the boat would compare with an IO setup.