Fuel Line Part Substitute?

cmayhle

Cadet
I have a (circa) 1976 Merc 500, 50 OB that I want to rebuild the fuel pumps on. The dual-carbs are the Integral Fuel Pump Type carburetors. There is a 6" rubber fuel line from the quick-connect on the engine case to a "T", and (2) 3" rubber fuel lines from the "T" to the (2) fuel pump intakes on the carbs. These fuel lines are old and showing signs of deterioration/cracking, so they really need to be replaced in the context of the fuel pump rebuild. These lines are available as OEM parts, however as they are quite obscure, the cost is over $30 each piece. That comes to $100 for 12" of rubber fuel-supply line!

My question is, can I substitute some correctly sized bulk fuel line (All the ends are clamped onto nipples/barbs) for these parts, and if so is there a specific type of fuel line required for this type of application?

Thanks for any options!

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel Line Part Substitute?

yes, any quality auto parts store

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

better to use "marine" CG approved fues hose

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Napa carries most T fittings and all sizes of epa approved fuel line..

cmayhle

Cadet

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will use them as I follow through with this project. Also, if anyone else has the benefit of experience with this type of substitution, please weigh in.