chrysler 120 hemi

I am looking at buying a 1984 VIP fish and ski with a chrysler hemi 120 guy says it has spark and fuel but no start. Im thinking carbs need rebuilt and general cleaning, he is not mechanically inclined. I am however. But am new to boating will be first one for me. Not sure if engine is same year or not as boat. Any info will be appreciated. Overall boat is in excellent shape. 900.00 for all. Sound reasonable? 17ft boat

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: chrysler 120 hemi

Chrysler 120 "HEMI"?? No such critter. Need a valid model number.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer

chrysler hemi is a car engine- probably the owner said this and confused him. There should be a tag giving you the model/serial number on the boat. Post model & year, but no spark could be anything, but probably not terminal.

86-vip

Cadet

ha ha if my force was a chrysler id put hemi on the side of it lol-i actually would

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pictures,serial#s,mod#s?
Like JB says No hemi's in the outboard world.
They used to make the Hemi's in the old days and put them in some bigger boats.
Like a 40 Huckins with twin 360's.Just one of MANY!!I think???

Jokes on me,that's the stickers on the Cowling. Just an older 120 no model number or year info yet.

ginagirl

Cadet

I am looking at buying a 1984 VIP fish and ski with a chrysler hemi 120 guy says it has spark and fuel but no start. Im thinking carbs need rebuilt and general cleaning, he is not mechanically inclined. I am however. But am new to boating will be first one for me. Not sure if engine is same year or not as boat. Any info will be appreciated. Overall boat is in excellent shape. 900.00 for all. Sound reasonable? 17ft boat

Unsure if you are talking about the boat I am selling but it sounds EXACTLY like it. The cover for the motor actually says chrysler hemi 120 on it. So I guess that is what it is. The boat is an 84 though. Take a look at the pics and let me know if it is the same boat you were interested in please?

Attachments

• hemi.jpg
    hemi.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0610.jpg
    IMAG0610.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Clearly someone got creative with the dodge ram logo and hemi graphics.

"Overall boat is in excellent shape. 900.00 for all. Sound reasonable?"

No, in todays market, you can buy a fully functional running boat for $900.

You don't know, the motor may be a throw-away.

Looks like the boat is missing a couple things.

Boat and trailer may be worth 500-600, if you really like it.
But a functioning motor of that size is gonna set you back 800-1200. easy.

ginagirl

Cadet

Clearly someone got creative with the dodge ram logo and hemi graphics.

"Overall boat is in excellent shape. 900.00 for all. Sound reasonable?"

No, in todays market, you can buy a fully functional running boat for $900.

You don't know, the motor may be a throw-away.

Looks like the boat is missing a couple things.

Boat and trailer may be worth 500-600, if you really like it.
But a functioning motor of that size is gonna set you back 800-1200. easy.

We don't know if OP is talking about my boat or not. Just sounds a lot like it. What is missing from the boat?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Engine is around 1974-1976 based on the shape of the midleg and 2 piece lower unit. It is difficult to find props for those lower units and even I (who loves his Chryslers) am getting away from Chryslers that old. Although parts still can be had, there just is no market for the engines.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Ahh! Then the engine would also be around the the same vintage. I was being charitable with the age. That shape lower unit was made up until about 1976 when they changed to a longer cavitation plate and more streamlined look to the midleg. Around 1977-78 they changed again to a one piece lower that continued through Force models.

So: If your engine is that old, does it have the square, finned, red rectifier with trip regulator mounted near the starter? And I don't see a trim bar in the photo. Does thet engine have power trim/tilt?

Nordin

Commander

Stating the age of the engine if the cowl is the right, it is a 1972-73. 1971 the CHRYSLER decal had white background and 1974 it was black as this but the number 120 had red background and "chrome" colored numbers.
The 120Hp was in the modelline from 1970 until 1977 then it was back just in 1983 and 1985 Chrysler became Force.