New guy looking for buying advice

ottopilot

Cadet
I am looking for a used bowrider for my family of five. After much research, I am interested in a 20-25' Chaparral, Crownline, or Sea Ray boat with a 5.0 or 5.7 Volvo drive. I will be using the boat for skiing, tubing, and possibly wakeboarding. I would like to stay right around the $20k range for price.

I found the following ad and would like any help, comments, etc. I have been unable to find anything about a GSi engine, only GXi. What's the difference?

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Crownline-225-Br/124496871

Thanks in advance!

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New guy looking for buying advice

Volvo Penta said:
After that, one or two letters that note the fuel system and/or output. L=Limited, S=Superior, X=Exceptional, i or I=Fuel injected (no I means carburated).

GSi = GM block, Superior output, fuel injected

GSi is a 280hp engine I believe, where the GXi ranged from 300 to 320hp

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How serious are you about skiing and wakeboarding? If you are really serious or may become serious, you may want a "real" ski or wakeboard boat instead of a bowrider. Just a thought. If you stay bowrider, I would add Cobalt and Stingray to that list. Maybe even the Yamaha jet boats.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

20 to 25 feet is a massive difference when it comes to power needed for sports. Plus, a 25 footer is going to throw big waves. So assuming you end up in the middle, I think you make the decision partly on the service you have in your area. If you have a strong Volvo shop/dealer, I think that is the slight premium to Mercruiser. Get fuel injection and duoprop if you can, both are wonderful. And since you want watersports, get the most power you can get - the difference in fuel usage is nil.

Philster

Captain

A 25' boat should have at least a (BBC) Big Block Chevy (454-502).

ottopilot

Cadet

Thanks for the replies.

As for the watersports, we are experienced but not what I would call "serious" skiers. We have only wakeboarded a couple of times, so I think the most important aspect of any boat we get is the ability to haul people while pulling a skier or a tube.

I have mostly been looking at the 21 to 23' range, as that seems to be the best combination of seats and power for our budget. We will have up to nine people in the boat at a time. Please feel free to correct my thinking, though, since you all know much more about this area than I do. I want to learn all I can to make a smart decision when the time comes to buy.

Also, does it matter whether the boat has been used in salt water or only fresh water?