96 evinrude 150 intruder problems please help

kwff22

Recruit
Hi all,

I am new here but a long time boater, and have been reading and searching the post trying to see if anyone has the same problem I have but have not had any luck, here it goes...

I back the boat into the water, fire it up and get it off the trailer, I always let it run while I park the truck, Idles fine starts fine, no problems there. As soon as I get out of the No Wake Zone and go to WOT it goes to 2500 rpm and starts to shake hard just like its hitting a rev limiter. It will run like a watch when its below 2500 rpm. Now here is the real brain teaser, if I shut the motor off, wait about 10 or 20 seconds, fire it back up, and move to WOT she takes off like nothing ever happened!! I can run it 20 miles, stop to fish, fire it back up with no problems the rest of the day, the only time it seems to act up is on initial start up, I am leaning towards powerpack but dont want to spend the money if thats not the problem.

If anyone can help me that would be great, heading out today to try and diagnose this problem

by the way, WOT = wide open throttle

thanks,
Chris

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 96 evinrude 150 intruder problems please help

Sounds like the SLOW system is engaging. Make sure it is not overheating, and test the temp sensors. Also check the blocking diode.

kwff22

Recruit

Sounds like the SLOW system is engaging. Make sure it is not overheating, and test the temp sensors. Also check the blocking diode.

I know its not over heating, it does it 30 seconds after initial startup, how do I test the temp sensors? just unplug? and what is the blocking diode?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just disconnect the temp sensors on first start up and see what happens. If it doesn't act up you'll know you have a bad one. You could also have a bad power pack. They have been known to do this. But as said above, a blocking diode could also cause it.

kwff22

Recruit

what is a blocking diode??

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's a diode in the wiring harness to keep the mtr from going into SLOW from any false signnals from other components. You may want to go to CDI Electronics.com on how to check it out or else its in the OEM Factory Service manual.

kwff22

Recruit

thanks, I will check these out, Iam heading out now...