engine swap volvo penta for omc?

gary12280

Cadet
Hey guys. Contemplating an engine swap. I bought an 86 18' sunbird bowrider with a 3.0 omc and it appears the transom is definitely bad, just not sure how bad till I pull the engine tomorrow. I am looking at a 17' sunrunner bowrider that currently has a hydro-seized Volvo pentagon engine, aq151b and 270 outdrive. As my 3.0 omc and outdrive are good, is this a doable swap? Would I be looking at less work just repairing the transom on the boat I have (provided rot is not in the stringers)? What is more cost effective (I can the 17' for under 700 bucks). Will the engine mounts be an issue? Let me know and thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: engine swap volvo penta for omc?

What outdrive does the OMC have? Cobra or Stringer?

gary12280

Cadet

Sorry don, its an 86 cobra. 3.0 with manual steering.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The cutout for the Volvo engine is larger than the cutout for the Cobra. You would have to redo the transom on either boat. Don't even think about trying to just fill in the gaps. You still need the support of the transom for either engine.

Cutout comparison.jpg

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use the omc drive if at all possible. The 270 is a great drive but has no ability to trim while you are underway. It only has 3 holes for adjustment to be made while out of the water. For you this may be ok but For me with a 19' bayliner it was a horrible experience. My top speed was very limited and without hydraulic trim which your omc should have you may be disappointed in the boats performance. Just my 2 cents