leaking carb

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
this is a solex single barrel carb on the volvo penta 125a. Never leaked prior to last weekend. Ran it for about an hour WOT on the river, stopped about 30 min. then ran it back to marina another hour pretty much WOT all the way. Engine ran fine. Engine ran rough only at slow speed approaching the launch ramp, due to low gas I think.<br /><br />When I started it in driveway today, I noticed the leaking gas coming from the midway point on the carb housing where the top part mates to the lower assembly, 4 bolts were pretty loose at that point and I snugged them up. Could the cruise last weekend loosened them that much? the prior owner maintenance is unknown so I have no idea how this engine has been serviced other than what I have done this year. But I do know I never saw or smelled gas leaking before today.<br /><br />Where do I start to troubleshoot this? Seloc manual doesn't have a good exploded parts view either.<br />Thanks again!<br />Joe

Bondo

Staff member
Re: leaking carb

Ayuh,......<br /><br />I'd say that Pounding the Snot out of it for a Hour,+ 1/2 Might have been enough to viberate the Screws Loose,........<br />I'd also suspect that they Weren't all that tight to begin with............<br /><br />Maybe a Carb Kit is in order,..... Sounds like a Good Time for a Carb. Rebuild............

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: leaking carb

thanks Bondo. <br />I tightened them up and took it out today. <br />ran fine with no leaks, so I guess I am OK for now. <br /><br />Joe