In middle of first impeller job, propeller is no longer "locked" to forward.

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In middle of first impeller job, propeller is no longer "locked" to forward.

Well I'm in the middle of my first impeller job for my merc cruiser alpha 1 gen 2.

I shifted into full forward before I removed the lower unit.

But after removing the housing for the impeller and keyway, i found that the prop can now go forward or backward freely.

Before something was preventing it from spinning backward as it was shifted forward...

Did I screw something up?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: In middle of first impeller job, propeller is no longer "locked" to forward.

Re: In middle of first impeller job, propeller is no longer "locked" to forward.

...Did I screw something up?

:facepalm:

Nah, just kidding ya :D, all's good... There is no detent on the gears in a Mercruiser box. They fall in and out of gear without you even feeling it. If you rotate the shift shaft clockwise while turning the prop counter clockwise (reverse) it will all lock up again. Conversely you could turn the shift shaft CCW and the prop CW and it will lock in reverse.... Do it all anyway and learn how the drive feels . In the future if you need to know, you have 'prior knowledge' and will know what should be and what shouldn't be....

Chris........

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I just didnt want to finish it up, button her up then find out that i screwed or forgot something.

Now onto hunting for the correct impeller kit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...Now onto hunting for the correct impeller kit.

Just the impeller -> 47-43026T2
Impeller kit (includes the gaskets and seal) -> 47-43026Q6

While you're at it, buy the alignment pins.. 91-82157A1

Cheers,

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

I also have the very same problem. Chris, you say to spin the shifter shaft CW while spinning the prop CCW. Does this put the lower unit into forward? Thank you, Bob

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I'll jump in for Chris here. Yes. Turn the shift shaft all the way CW, THEN TAKE A LOOK AT IT to make sure it is pointed straight ahead. Turn the prop CCW till it locks and you are in forward. To hold it in F run a bungee to hold CCW pressure on the prop.

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Stonyloam, thank you for your fast reply and good advice. Bob

CableGuy1978

Seaman

I'll jump in for Chris here. Yes. Turn the shift shaft all the way CW, THEN TAKE A LOOK AT IT to make sure it is pointed straight ahead. Turn the prop CCW till it locks and you are in forward. To hold it in F run a bungee to hold CCW pressure on the prop.

Something as simple as a bungee would have been perfect when I was installing my drive last. I'm not very experienced at it yet, so it remains difficult to get it straight, get the shift cable end right and keep the damn drive in forward gear! I usually do most stuff solo, and that save on needing another pair of hands for me at least.

Thank you!