1972 Johnson Hydro-electric hot horn?

kit352

Cadet
Some my boat died in the water today its not getting power from the controls. I pop open the panel and it looks like someone wanted me to die. Cut wires and just debris everywere. My biggest issues are the hot horn and some of the botched wiring im dealing with.
My horn is completely destroyed. Terminals rotted off and i think it may have been grounding out. Can this horn be bypassed or does it need to be in place. Id imagine ive been without it for years so I dont really even need it. The little thing is crazy money to replace and just plain hard to find around here. If it can be bypassed how would i go about doing it? Just cap the wires or trace them back and remove the temp sensor?
My other issue is the wiring. I cant seem to find a schematic anywere for the control box. I have the one for the more but its not helping me at the other end. I have a clipped grey/white wire and a few clipped purple ones. Those may also be grounding out as well.
If anyone can give me some help my little glastron would be greatful.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Johnson Hydro-electric hot horn?

It would help if you told us what size the motor is. I might have a wiring diagram. As for the horn, you can just go without it. You don't have to remove the sensor or wires. Obviously, you lose any benefit from it. The grey wire is for a tachometer, if you have one. The purple wires are "hot" when the key is turned on. Whatever they are supposed to go to won't work if not connected. And of course they cannot be grounded out.

kit352

Cadet
Re: 1972 Johnson Hydro-electric hot horn?

Its a 65hp. It looks like the double purple wire off the hot horn may have been grounding out on the cut end. The horn itself is a wreak and may have ben grounding everywere. The grey wire im just gonna cap so its never an issue. Ill cap the hot horn wires as well. Hopefully ill be back at it tomorrow since its getting dark out.
While im at it what type of grease should i use to lube the controls? Im gonna hose everything down with cleaner so i want to get some good lube on everything. Ive been using that walmart marine grease for just about eveything else but im not sure its good for the controls.