Evinrude 35 cooling problem - no water

Lyttlebyrd

Recruit
Hello Forum:
I have a problem - yes, yes, I likely have many. This is lengthy - but I have noticed that the wise fellows always want lots of info.
15 foot aluminum runabout, the motor is an 82 Evinrude 35 HP. (E35RCND). Last season the motor ran well - no problems. Stored in an unheated garage over the winter - mountain community - can get very cold - but the weather was warm when we tried it out this season.
The motor has planing "wings" (extended leg also). When I tried out the motor in the driveway - I had it immersed up to the planing wings - the "pee" stream was very weak - drops or non-existent - white smoke from the outlet - may have been steam. Ran it for only a few minutes - the head began to sizzle so I shut it off. Figured this was an impeller problem - got a new one & replaced it. By the way, blowing air through the water tube at the power head sends air out the copper tube. But when i plug the end of the copper tube - air still finds some exit somewhere but I cannot tell where - it's much less flow than when I remove my finger from the end of the copper tube.
Local mechanic - extremely knowledgeable - advises that I may not have had it deep enough when I tested it and he thought the old impeller was OK - but a new one was inexpensive and better.
Re-tested in the river - pee stream came on - strong then quit. Then started again, then quit, then started again then quit - did not return - engine got hot so I shut it off. Lots of bubbles from around the seam between the gear case and the leg.
Back to the mechanic (he's too busy to get at my motor - said it would take months before he could look at it). He figures that there may be an exhaust leak from the head gasket that initially allows the water to go through the water jacket but upon building up pressure stops the water - he was unsure. Motor starts and runs reasonably well - but overheats. Took the gear case off again, new grommet in the water pump housing for the water tube, checked the impeller looked fine, added gasket goop between the gear case and the leg.
Got a deeper barrel - made sure the water was well up on the leg above the wings. ran the motor - no water from the hole at all.
Questions:
1) Where does the water enter the water pump? Could I have some entrance blocked?
2) How quickly would a head gasket blow - the one in the engine is factory installed - still has the paint?
3) If I am seeing white smoke/steam from the exit hole - is this a sign of a blown gasket?
4) Why does plugging the copper tube not stop the air flow entirely?
5) Looking from above what direction does the driveshaft turn - clockwise? That's what I'm working with.

Today I am going to remove the gear case again (3rd time) and I'm going to connect a water hose to the copper tube and see whether a gentle stream from the garden hose passes through the engine. To check whether the tube is dislodged.
I am also going to put the separated gear case in gear and turn the prop with a drill so that the impeller will turn and check to see whether there is water coming out the top of the water pump. If both tests are positive - I will then address the gaskets.
Whew! If anyone has come this far - thank-you. Let me know have the benefit of your expertise.
Alan

BobnTed

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 35 cooling problem - no water

Could be a bad thermostat, they can cause what you mentioned. Answer to your question #5 is clockwise. The other questions for me might be to long and wordie, so I'll let someone with better english skills answer. lol.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

1.You need to have the water pump below water level, it sounds like you did not have it deep enough.
Notice where the pump is in the lower unit, make sure the engine is submerged at least 6" above the pump.
Try that nand see if all your problems are cured.
2.You probably didn't get it hot enough to blow a head gasket, if the paint isn't discolored you are probably OK.
3.No, it's a sign that the engine is overheating.
4. Did you have the powerhead off? How did you blow air through the water tube?
5. clockwise is correct I beleave.
Make sure the tell-tale is not plugged.

Lyttlebyrd

Recruit

Well gentlemen, thanks for your replies. I took the gearcase off - took the water pump apart again and checked to make sure that all the gaskets were in place properly - made sure that the impeller was securely attached to the drive shaft and re-assembled the gearcase. Then while I had the chance, I attached a 5/8 drill (1/2 would not work) to the drive shaft and turned the shaft to see whether water was pumping out. Lo and behold there was fluid upwelling from the top of the pump - I know it's a high volume, low pressure pump so I accepted that it was working. Put the gearcase back on and it pumped like a champ.
I believe that I did two things wrong in the first analysis:
1) not deep enough in the water
2) the grommet around the water tube at the top of the water pump may not have been sealing properly.
My local mechanic at Genelle Marine was great in his advice even though he was too busy to assist, and a fellow named Chris at Spokane Outboard Repair spent time on the phone with me to suggest procedures. In addition to this website - it seems that there is a whole society of people ready to assist.
In doing this project I found two useful methods - 1) use a rope to hold the gearcase in place when separating the upper and lower gear changing rods and 2) use a little twist tie to hold the threaded nut for the connector away from the plastic retainer as you struggle to remove that little beggar.
The first time I took this thing apart - it took me hours as I pondered what to do - the next two times that thing came apart and went together in 20 to 30 minutes. Thank you for your suggestions - and to Vice Admiral Daviet - in order to blow air through the water channel, I just detached the tube from the small hole in the motor housing and blew back down the tube, I even got my wife to do it so that I could listen at the bottom end. Quite an experience and with the success in the end - very enjoyable.
Thank-you all.